Power Steering Fluid Leak - Mercury Sable

Hi:

I've been trying to figure out why a Mercury Sable 89 vehicle is leaking power steering fluid where it has to be filled up every day to every other day. It has a 3.0 V engine. The leak looks like it's leaking right above the exhaust pipe.

Could this be the line above it? Also, if it is, are the tools that I need just the flare wrench and the power steering fluid line/hose? Do I need the hose clamps are not?

Thanks in advanced for any response or guidance.

Reply to
netsurfer802

Hi:

I've been trying to figure out why a Mercury Sable 89 vehicle is leaking power steering fluid where it has to be filled up every day to every other day. It has a 3.0 V engine. The leak looks like it's leaking right above the exhaust pipe.

Could this be the line above it? Also, if it is, are the tools that I need just the flare wrench and the power steering fluid line/hose? Do I need the hose clamps are not?

Thanks in advanced for any response or guidance.

MC

Reply to
netsurfer802

If the hose is leaking that shouldn't be hard to replace at all. Drain the rest of the power steering fluid or put a catch can on the ground to get the excess fluid the comes out. Get a new piece of high pressure line and remove the clamps that hold it on, at both ends. Then just remove the old line and slide the new line on then clamp it down and you're done.

Auto Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

ok..hope it's as straight forward as you say it is...thanks..don't know why I double posted.

Reply to
netsurfer802

You obviously have never done a taurus or sable before. The lines are hybrid hose and metal hose. The metal hose part wraps around the side of the engine. The high side hoses on the firewall side of the engine are larger than the return hoses. They are high pressure hydraulic type hose and they are crimped onto the metal lines. You would have to grind them off to change them. And in good conscience, crimp news rubber high pressure lines on. If its leaking on the back high pressure lines, the best route would be to get the complete hoses assemblies.

Getting these hoses on and off is a pain. You have to take stuff off the side of the engine and access is tight.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

You're right I never have on this specific vehicle, and if that is the case I would suggest he take it to a professional.

Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

A well equipped DIY can change the complete hose assembly. I did it on my 90. But its a pain to do. Spray down the hose steering rack area with degreaser and squirt it off with a pressure washer or such. Then drive and check for new leaks. On mine, the high pressure hose by the rack Weeped in the middle of the hose when under load. The return hoses by the PS pump also tend to leak. If your ambitious, you can grind the crimp clamp off of the steel line and put in a generic

3/8" PS rated hose with a clamp to replace it. There is little pressure on the return line, so a screw down clamp will work. I just did that to my 93.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Yes, it's the line. The new line seems to have a slightly modified connector. GET IT FIXED NOW. I was actually next door to the Ford dealership where I was to pick up a new hose when the fluid on the exhaust caught fire; I was so used to it smoking that I didn't pay any attention until several people insisted that there were flames.

Reply to
clifto