98 Grand Marquis has Bent Frame, How much to Fix?

The car is secured to a large framework. There are hydraulic rams that can pull from almost any height or angle through adjustable beams, pulleys and chains. A good frame guy can do magic. I have pulled numerous frames and unibodies close with chains, poles and compound low on my truck. Towtruck winches work well too... HTH, Ben Happy New Years!

You are correct:

It's amazing what a little ingenuity can accomplish.

Thank you for your clarification.

RK

Reply to
Refinish King

It's called HSLAS High Strength Low Alloy Steel, Also, the crossmember, if a bolted on unit, might be made of Martensitic Steel.

The amount the steel is alloyed, is a constantly changing amount. Information from crash research and studies of cars crashed by consumers, are used to re-engineer parts.

RK

Reply to
Refinish King

Take a look at any of the HSLA alloys in the SAE book.... some of them have nearly 1% silicon and as much as 0.25% aluminum. Weird. I don't know how any of this affects the mechanical properties.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Take a look at any metallugical text and learn about "killing" steels in the ladle with silicon and aluminum.

Reply to
cavedweller

Shit, dude...anything is possible... You have to take it to a competent shop and measure the distortion to know for sure what has to be done.

This is not rocket science..

Reply to
HLS

m wrote in news:fabnl4lc06aok1unevfkks1oh6r76ja5um@

4ax.com:

ive been following your post since it started and have a thought. if i were on a real budget for this adventure my process would be 1) make sure the hood closes well and straight (unless sheet metal damage procludes) and the fan blade doesnt rub the shroud. good hood alignment tells you the frame isnt so pinched as to be a huge prob, fan blade clearance tells you the radiator supports are pretty close to where they are suppose to be........2) install known good control arm. bend mount flanges with hammer or pliers if needed.....3) install known good wheel/tire assy., even if you take it from rear axle....4) test drive to check for steering trueness, effort, and center return.........5) if step 4 worked out well then to independant align. shop to check the numbers, esp. toe. then watch for odd tire wear untill you retire car in a few months........BACK OFF flamers! this is simply an alternative to putting large bucks in a car needed for a short time with next to no value.....we have a lot here in town with over 3oo rwd ford and mercs of that vintage selling at $750 to $1500 most of much later models (old gov cars)...........just a thought for you M.................bill

Reply to
bill

Thanks for your reply, Bill. The hood opens and closes okay. No miss alignment there. All dorors open and cloe okay. My brother (who is also my mechanic) had the car towed to a good body shop. The guy in the body hop will get back to me with an estimate but he told me that he thinks it's the mounting location where the upper control arm mounts. He says they use the old one to bend it back into place and then install the new one and then align the front end. I also have a spare wheel that came off the left front when I installed my snow tires. I will use that wheel (Iknow that one is straight) and then replace the bent rim later. The body shop will also give me an estimate to fixt the dented fender and door. Not sure if I'll spend the money on that, but the guy says he will try to give me a good price becasue my brother sends him a lot of busines and he knows that I have no insurance.