What are the best shocks for 98 Grand MArquis?

Hi All: I'm going to replace the shocks on my 98 Grand Marquis. I noticed that the car rides a little rough at high frequency. The slow up and down motion doesn't seem to be a problem. Will the shocks take care of this? Not sure what is causing it and I am overdue for shocks anyway. They are shocks and not struts. What is the best brand of shock absorber on the market today? I always thought it was Monroe, but that may have changed over the years. Robert

Reply to
Finite Guy

Hi All: I'm going to replace the shocks on my 98 Grand Marquis. I noticed that the car rides a little rough at high frequency. The slow up and down motion doesn't seem to be a problem. Will the shocks take care of this? Not sure what is causing it and I am overdue for shocks anyway. They are shocks and not struts. What is the best brand of shock absorber on the market today? I always thought it was Monroe, but that may have changed over the years. Robert

Reply to
Finite Guy

These cars respond very well to upgraded shocks -- the standard items yield a ride that is at the same time jittery and marshmallowy. If you want to improve the ride stability considerably and don't mind spending money for quality, get a set of Koni adjustables and set them to the middle position. If you're not out for the best available, but just want something better than you started with, specify the shocks for the '98 Police Interceptor Ford Crown Victoria. They will not make the ride hard or harsh; rather, they will make it much steadier and more stable.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Agreed, the adjustables are great and Koni is one of the best. Another option is the inertia sensitive shocks, available from Edelbrock [and others] for your Merc. These self adjust, controlling the jigglies at driving speed and effectively change to a softer setting for a larger bump. Most of my local parts places carry the Edelbrock IAS or can get them within a day.

Monroe is a big company, including their offroad Rancho division, they have the Reflex series of shocks that are somewhat similar to the Edelbrock IAS in concept... switching damping dynamically. Some of their shocks are better than others, but dunno of any that match the Edelbrock IAS.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

yep, many crown vic owners are happy with the police shock absorber + civilian spring combination. and new police shocks are only around $30/each from the ford dealer.

be warned that although the fr>>Hi All: I'm going to replace the shocks on my 98 Grand Marquis. I

Reply to
usenetid