99 escort : I hold down the gas, the engine revs in waves every second or so

Hello I have a 99 escort that has been acting up for a couple days. It idles fine, but when I hold press down and hold the gas pedal, the engine revs in waves. The RPMs of the rev is proportional to how much I press down, but the pulse of the wave is pretty much the same. I hold down the gas, and every second or so the engine revs up, then down, then up again...as long as I hold down the gas. It's bizzare. Then when I take my foot off the gas...it idles fine. Yesterday on the way home it drove fine. sputtered for a mile or so, then started with the pulsing rev. So I pulled over. When it's pulsing the car won't move. While waiting for a tow truck, I sat idling with the AC on for about an hour. Turned the car off, then back on, and it ran fine for about 15 miles. Then, at a light, the problem started back again.

I managed to get to an Auto Zone and they ran a diagnostic on it. I don't remember the code number (P something), but is said something like "bad mix". The guy at Auto zone said it sounded like a bad Oxygen sensor. Apparently the escort has 2 oxygen sensors, so they sold me the front one that fits into the manifold just behind the fan. The car ran fine on the way home. I swapped out the Oxygen sensor, and it ran fine around the block last night. So I thought it was fixed. Then first thing this morning....it went right back to the pulsating rev.

I thought about looking into getting the "other" oxygen sensor, but I hate to just keep guessing, and spending tons of money replacing random parts.

I'm hoping maybe someone has seen this and had luck fixing it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
fbreedon

That can be anything.

That sounds very much like jumping the gun. Get the code number and then maybe someone will be able to at least make some guesses. Without the code number, you have nothing.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Perhaps if you could state what codes were reported, I could be of more help. Other than that, I would suggest testing the TPS sensor. It might malfunction in a manner that could cause the symptoms you described..Of course there are many other possibilities.

Reply to
Kevin