99 taurus revving problems

MY 99 ford Taurus while in park,,, when I hold the gas pedal to the floor, will only rev to 4000 rpm's and then drop to a normal idle then it go back to 4000 rpm's. This will keep doing this as long as I hold the gas pedal down. but when while driving the car I have no problems, it runs fine

Reply to
detap

computer does that,keeps fools from overreving and blowing up the engine.

ds549

So dose that mean that it soppiest to act that way ? And nothing wrong with the my car !

Reply to
detap

Yep... FORD saw you coming and had a good idea.

WTF would you sit in the car and hold the gas to the floor in Park?!!!!!

Are you a natural idiot or did you take 4 years of courses to become one?

I came by it naturally when I did that, once... with the help of about 10 beers. Only cost me a weeks wages for a trans rebuild back then, though.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

take it to a mechanic and tell him to fix it quick! Don't let it go! Do it before its too late!

Tell him you don't care what it costs, just fix it!

Reply to
ScottM

You're hitting the rev limiter in the EFI, it's supposed to do that.

Makes blowing up engines by deliberately over-revving them a lot harder - but NOT impossible. Stop trying, one day you may succeed.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
detap

thank you Bruce that's all I wanted was a strait answer not a bunch of comments from the clown collage

Reply to
detap

Well, you did come off as kind-of trollish and it can be taken either way, but everyone's entitled to write an awkward sentence now and then.

They build safety systems into new cars, and the rev limiter is one of them. The computer knows the car is in park, and while revving it to 2000 - 3000 RPM while parked is useful to get full alternator and air conditioning output, any more than that is simply asking for big trouble if someone drops it into gear...

If you ease into the gas it will take the RPM's up to the limiter and hold right around that point, and not impose a hard fuel cut. But when you stomp the pedal flat to the floor and hold it, the computer figures it's an accident - something fell on the gas pedal. The 'drop back to curb idle' behavior is the computer trying to protect you from yourself.

Be careful - you can still miss a downshift and zing the engine up to 15000 RPM and break it. ($3000+ repair bill if you do a real good job like "ventilating" the block.)

The computer has control of the fuel and spark, and on an automatic transmission there are safeties to prevent a downshift engagement that would over-rev the engine. But on manual shift cars the computer can't push the clutch pedal in for you to prevent that from happening.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to