1999 Ford Explorer Transmission will not hold back...

I have a 1999 4WD Ford Explorer. 1st gear will not hold back at all. I put it in first, and coast down a hill. Once i reach a certain speed/rpm, it is like it is in neutral. I can rev the motor and everything. I can put it in first while stopped, and start going, and once i reach a certain rpm, it is like it goes out of gear a dn just revs.

I need it to hold back in 4WD especially, so that i dont have to use the brakes down a slick hill.

Please let me know if you have hear of this.

Thanks Jason

Reply to
jsandlin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Is this by chance the same '99 that had it's transfer case "pecked" on with a hammer? Probably about due for a (towed) trip to a tranny shop for a look by someone who knows WTF they are doing.

My $.02 Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

The transfer case itself was not pecked on. Just the motor that kicked in the 4WD LO. It is known that the motor can stick if it is not used. What is the deal with the attitude man?

Later Jason

Mark Sparge wrote:

jsandlin

Agreed, I probably overstated. It was just that the two e-mails so close together made it sound like there was a good possibility that the transmission needed some internal repair, and it's not often that an IT guy for a TV station has the tools, time and training to take on a transmission -- time being the part of the equation that is usually in shortest supply (next to cash) .

Keep us posted on how it comes out.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

That is a known problem caused by a gasket in the valve body blowing out. It's fixed by replacing a plate in the valve body with a new one which now has the gasket permanently bonded to the plate. They recommend replacing a failure-prone solenoid while you're at it.

Here's some great info on this problem from "Serious Explorations":

TSB 03-22-10...

FORD: 1995-2001 EXPLORER

ISSUE: Some vehicles built prior to 12/1/2001 may exhibit the following shift and engagement conditions:

No 2nd Gear No 3rd Gear No Engine Braking In Manual 1st. Out of specification pressures controlled by the transmission main control valve body separator plate may be the cause.

ACTION: Verify the condition, the main control valve body separator plate may need to be updated to the latest level. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

See the whole article, be sure to read the stuff way down at the bottom:

carbide

Excellent Info. Thanks for the link, it's a keeper!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

What is the deal with the attitude man?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bump -- and another apology!!

Just today - at lunch time, my '99 with 4X4 Auotmatic was making an unusual (I thought) amount of road noise -- sort of like when you're running in 4X4 High. I pulled off the road and checked - there didn't seem to be much if any difference between Auto and High, so I switched it to 4X4 Low. It dropped into low just fine -- and then wouldn't shift back out. I remembered your post, and discovered that the hydraulic jack has enough weight to "peck" sufficiently on the Xfer case motor. Restarted, and the thing shifted right out of Low and was back to normal.

My face is red, but thanks again. What was the result of your transmission problems?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

I haven't had time to look at the suggested link yet, but it sounds like the problem i am having.

I am glad that the little trick helped you out. I am thinking that i need to get a new motor for mine, becuase i had to do the same thing again the other day. If there is a way to oil it i may try that first.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks Jason

Mark Sparge wrote:

jsandlin