'99 Ford Taurus turning circle

My relatives have a 1999 Taurus Taurus SE that has the turning radius of a bus. I believe it's 42 ft. It's a fine car but it takes careful planning to park or turn onto a street without incident.

The car has the 200-hp Duratec engine and 225/55R-16 tires, which are part of the problem: the standard Taurus does a little better at 38 ft.

Anyone know what would be involved in getting that turning circle down to the standard model's 38 ft?

Changing wheels and tires would be okay, as the fat tires also disallow chains. I'm wondering if there is a tacked-on stop added to their car's steering, or if the rack itself would have to be changed...

Or maybe they should get a "This vehicle makes wide right turns" sign?

Thanks, Wallace

Reply to
Wallace White

Perhaps you could remove the wheel stops. ;)

mike hunt

Walleye White wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Sorry for my slow reply. So there are stops... thanks, I'll take a look.

- Wallace

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
Wallace White