What is the real weight

Big discussion going on in the Dodge group about the weight of the new "porker" Challenger.

What does a Mustang GT really weigh?

How about a Mustang GT500?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I don't know anything about this guy, but it seems like a pretty good write-up by Jonathan Lamas:

Complete Side-By-Side Comparison

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (Automatic) / 2008 Shelby GT500 Mustang Coupe (Standard 6-speed)

PRICE * Retail: $40,095/$42,170 * Destination Charge: $675/$745 * Base: $34,803/$38,101 PERFORMANCE DATA * Base Number of Cylinders: 8/8 * Base Engine Size: 6.1 liters/ 5.4 liters * Base Engine Type: V8/ V8 * Transmission: 5-speed Automatic/Tremec TR6060 6-speed manual * Horsepower: 425 hp/500 hp * Max Horsepower: 6200 rpm/ 6,000 rpm * Torque: 420 ft-lbs./ 480 lb.-ft. * Max Torque: 4800 rpm/ 4,500 rpm * 0-60 MPH: 4.8 seconds/ 4.5 seconds * ¼ Mile:13.3/ 12.9 seconds * Drive Type: RWD/ RWD * Turning Circle: 38.9 ft./ 37 ft. FUEL * Fuel Tank Capacity: 19 gal./ 16 gal. * EPA Mileage Estimates: 13 mpg -18 mpg/ 14 mpg ? 20 mpg WHEELS AND TIRES * Standard: 20-inch wheels with 245/45 all-season tires/18-inch wheels with P255/45Z18 front tires and P285/40ZR18 rear tires * Optional: 20-inch wheels with 245/45 Goodyear Eagle F1 tires front and 255-45 rear EXTERIOR * Length: 197.7 in./188.0 in. * Width: 75.7 in./ 73.9 in. * Height: 57 in./54.5 in. * Wheel Base: 116 in./ 107.1 in. * Curb Weight: 4,140 lbs./3,920 lbs. INTERIOR * Front Head Room: 39.5 in./ 38.6 in. * Front Hip Room: 54.7 in./ 53.6 in. * Front Shoulder Room: 58.2 in./ 55.4 in. * Rear Head Room: 37.4 in./ 35.0 in. * Rear Shoulder Room: 53.9 in./53.3 in. * Rear Hip Room: 51.4 in./46.7 in. * Front Leg Room: 42 in./ 42.7 in. * Rear Leg Room: 32.6 in./31.0 in. * Maximum Cargo Capacity: 16 cu. ft./12.3 cu. ft. * Maximum Seating: 5/4 I personally would like to know more about the guts of these cars and how they respond to drive train and suspension mods.

Reply to
GILL

Thank you:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

when I got my '06 GT covert, the dealer kept all the paperwork and left the window sticker on until I inspected & OKd it - blued next to the sticker was a weigh slip: each car weighed as built for shippng purposes.....

3523 pounds - which floored me considering all the plastic and allumium in it.
Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Don't forget all the safety equipment...anti-lock brakes, air bags, side impact strengthening. And the sound deadening and heat shielding materials. Also the creature comforts...stereo, power everything. Then there's the chassis stiffening. It all adds up in a modern car.

Reply to
GILL

you're right, Gill, it all adds up:

years ago I got an invite for the press preview for the Rolls Silver Spirit: all aluminum engine, trans case, rear carrier, doors, magnesium hood & trunk lid, aluminum wheels, etc. weight of each car was stamped on the ID plate: a standard 4 door I looked at was 5862 pounds!

but the only thing on my Mustang that feels substantial is the doors......everything else is flimsy: cowl shake, rattles, flex, etc.......my old '66 was a lot more solid!

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

I've had a 2006 convertible V6 for a couple years now. It was rattle-free until I started messing with it: Steeda Sport springs, larger diameter wheels with shorter sidewall tires, dual exhaust. Eventually got most of the rattles cured by re-re-re-realigning the exhaust. What remain seem to be in the doors.

I'd say 60-70% of the cowl shake was eliminated by adding a good strut tower brace; replacing the BMR single with the Shelby four-nuts-per-side brace improved on that. I'm not sure the Steeda front sway bar bracket braces made a difference in that regard, but I don't think they could hurt. Those parts add about five or seven pounds to an already overweight vehicle; not much, proportionally.

"Flex" is not something I could isolate in the S197s; unlike the Morgans of past years, the doors open and close just fine when you jack up one corner. I'd like to believe Mr Ford has made at least some progress since 1966 ...

I've had a GT/CS coupe for just over a month now; by contrast with the convertible, it's solid and relatively silent, rattle-wise. I don't yet know if the noise I hear behind me is "normal" - sounds like a lot of wind and road noise, maybe some differential stuff, too - in the coupes, or if I'm just used to having it drowned out by the rushing air sounds that dominate the convertible experience.

I wonder how much comparably equipped 2004- Mustangs weigh. Sometimes I look at good examples of them and wish I'd started with one. The come close to matching the car I'd like to have: an S197 at 9/10ths scale for size, with the same advances in construction, materials, and performance.

Reply to
Frank ess

Yeah well, a Porsche it's not:( There ARE plenty of chassis stiffening parts to be bought out there though. Here's what a few Maximummotorsports parts did for me.

I'm starting to get my front drivers tire to almost lift and I'm still relatively low on the body role.I believe the late model Stangs already have the three link rear and panhard bar, so SFCs, STB, dampers and springs would do wonders for ya.

Reply to
GILL

a lot of my gripes with my '06 come from the hype when they came out: bigger interior, and designed from drawing board to be a convert so more solid according to all the mags.

my sister has an '04 convert which seems as solid ...... and I don't see how the back seat (where they claimed the extra length went) could be any smaller.....the front seats touch the back seat, which is a joke. gee, seems I used to do all sorts of things in the back of my '66, but I was more limber then!. ( would have been nice if they had spent the money to make the back seat fold down for more luggage room.....even tho there couldn't be a pass-thru to trunk because of the bracing, the luggage room is needed)

yes, I put a 4 bolt tower brace in -- helped some, but I hate the bouncie "dash is going one way while the hood and windshield go other ways" over every bump. hell, it's 2 1/2 years old now.....and it just turned 1545 miles, so it really doesn't matter - it looks good in the garage!

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

I get it. Too bad you're wearing it out so quickly. One day it'll likely be a collectible, like Studebakers, Packards, Plymouths, and Oldsmobiles.

My convertible has 22k miles, the first 14 as a Budget Rent-A-Car, and it's /good/.

Reply to
Frank ess

Did you even look at this thing before you bought it!? Two years later......Time to sell it and MOVE ON.

Reply to
GILL

Gill: yup, researched it pretty carefully and it came as close to what I wanted as anything (couldn't find a new car with leaf springs - and I'm half serious about that). I've whined here since I got it - mainly little things like no glove compartment light, ashtray or lighter, decent interior lights, no inside trunk release, joke of a "tilt steering wheel" and such in a car that stickers at $33M. I consider the fact that you absolutely cannot read the gauges - despite all the ghee-whiz design and light effects - more serious......the question should be, did anyone at FoMoCo drive one before they put them on sale?!?!

--------

Frank: I have to have a "toy" in the garage in perfect shape........I'm too old to maintain Packards and Studebakers anymore.....I sold my Avanti to make room for the new Mustang: it had 17,000 miles on it, had never been wet or out of the garage overnight. Yeah, I know: you're supposed to drive them....and the next owners get the benefit of my mania.

Speaking of which: my very first car was a '56 Packard: 4800 pounds,

305 horsepower, road like a dream, handled like it was on rails.......even with the old technology and crude automatic, it always got 14 mpg. Progress? And....you could read the guages and the body didn't flex, lol !!!!!!
Reply to
Itsfrom Click

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Itsfrom Click) wrote in news:13394-48F09E6D-349 @storefull-3253.bay.webtv.net:

shape........I'm

You sold an Avanti with 17k miles to make room for a Mustang?

Wow.

I hope you netted at least $15k after buying the Mustang outright...

Reply to
Joe