A car for Jim Beam: put your money where your mouth is

so, my prediction of no turbodiesel ever in a compact form for US did not hold water:

JB, would you be willing to swap your gas burner for this turbodiesel?

Reply to
AD

no, i'll be going for the vw golf tdi. when they sort out their transmission issues and bring back the automatic which they seem to have dropped for the moment.

i don't see that subaru as much more compact than the jetta tdi or the audi a3 turbo diesel. the mercedes bluetecs are turbo diesel, but very spendy. not sure about the bmw 335d, but i think it's turbo. can't stand bmw's tho.

as for predictions, i think you're pretty safe saying that neither honda nor toyota will sell their european turbodiesels here. too politically dangerous for them. i think subaru can just get away with it because sales numbers are [just] below the radar screen and their 4wd niche "has value". if that xv ever took off though, i see the big guns going after subaru and them shutting it down. just like toyota's diesel small pickups.

Reply to
jim beam

Not likely it will be available in the US.

"Subaru also let us sample the diesel XV it will offer in Europe."

Reply to
Steve W.

A neat car, but hasn't VW been on again/off again offering the TDI in Golfs?

nate

Reply to
N8N

according to JB not with an slushbox and it;s a must have for him

and a technically superior DSG would run you a bit over one grand for a total of over the $26k base TDI

B0&restore=false

Reply to
AD

of course it's a turbo

show me one premium diesel without a turbo these days.

so a turbodiesel coupled to automatics : a match made in heaven

what not to like?

Reply to
AD

indeed.

Reply to
jim beam

Interesting... I haven't really been paying attention, preferring to keep my money for possibly buying another house rather than blowing it all on a new car... but even if I were in the market I'm definitely a row it yourself kind of guy so the lack of a slushbox is totally a non- issue for YT. Doesn't the DSG have an automatic mode though?

nate

Reply to
N8N

water:

TDI

it's not a "slushbox". and that's an ignorant thing to call an automatic.

it's either full auto or semi auto. but of course, half a moment bothering to educate yourself on such a matter is just not going to happen because of your tourette's-like inability to control your urges to drivel in public.

Reply to
jim beam