A question on timing marks for Chrysler 2.0 SOHC engine

Hi all, I'm in the process or replacing the head gasket on my 1998 Plymouth Breeze. This is the most extensive automotive project that I've undertaken as I couldn't see paying the dealership the $1400 they wanted to do the job. So far all has gone well and the head is ready to be shaved. My question has to do with the timing when I reassemble everything. This is my assumption and please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm a newbie with this. There is a notch(looks like a small arrow) on the inner timing belt cover and on the crank gear. I'm assuming from what I've read that the crank needs to be rotated until these two marks intersect. The same goes for the cam gear, as there's an engraved line both on the inner timing belt cover(at the 12 o'clock position) and an engraved mark on the cam gear itself. When I install the new timing belt, do I line up the notches on the crank and cam gear to their respective notches on the inner timing belt cover and I'm good to go, or is there something that I may be missing?? Also, when I reinstall the crank pulley, is it critical as to how it's reinstalled as you need an impact wrench to tighten it's bolt and I'm sure that it'll rotate some when it's retightened. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'm kind of a newbie to this. Regards, Ray.

Reply to
RayRay

Why are you 'shaving' the head?.. Is 'shaving' an OHC cylinder head really a good idea? What about cam journal alignment?

My question has to do with the timing when I reassemble

Best suggestion I can offer is once you think you've got the marks lined up and the timing belt installed, turn the engine over at least two revs of the crank and make sure the marks still line up. Turning it by hand will prevent valve damage should you have lined things up wrong and valve/piston contact happens.

Just did the wife's 2.4 Sebring head gasket last weekend..

Regards,

Jim

Reply to
Jim