Acura Integra over heating

My daughter owns a 1991 Acura Integra LS. I replaced the radiator last summer and the water pump two months ago. I'm trying to get the car ready for her start of collage in the fall. With the start of summer here in Phoenix the car has started running quite hot. Not to the boiling point but close. Last night I replaced the thermostat. All that was avaiable was a 180 degree. What I removed was a 72 Centagrade which I believe is less than 180. The car is still running hot, this is with out the air conditioning. I ran a compression check to see if there is a leaking head gasket and all cyl are even. As a passing thought I disconnected the radiator hose from the cylinder head to check for water flow. I get very little flow untill the engine is reved up. How much water should flow, has anybody heard of a water pump not pumping, or low flow? Any suggestions. Thanks in advance

Bruce Williams

Reply to
Bruce Lee Williams

Is the fan running? Have you checked the rad hoses for soft spots, delaminated inner layers and the like?

Reply to
John Ings

Yes, 72=B0C is roughly 160=B0F, and is underrated by 20 Fahrenheit degrees = for that car. The 180=B0F unit you installed is the correct one for that car, but the fact a 160=B0 stat was in the car tells us somebody's been trying t= o solve a heating problem before...

Does it heat up at high road speeds/loads? Or does it overheat while idling in traffic? Or both?

That's definitely not normal. Slipping water pump, eroded water pump impeller or housing, or blockage in the system.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

SNIP

Was the engine hot or cold when you disconnected the hose? If cold, the thermostat would be closed, so I wouldn't expect much flow. If hot, then there is a problem as Daniel mentions.

Also, please post the solution if you find the problem.

thanks, bb

Reply to
bobby