adjust toe in degrees to centerline

For general purpose adjustment of toe at home what do you use?

The problem with using string is it has to bend under the engine. The problem with inches is that often toe is spec'd in degrees. The problem with adjustment is back & forth rolling is a pain.

If you haven't tried measuring toe you might not know how simple it seems to be (it's just a small distance) but it's less simple when you try to adjust.

What inexpensive tools help (particularly the tiny adjustment as in my case I have to do it on a slight incline where back & forth rolling is risky).

Reply to
paul

I use degrees, that way I can measure from exterior side wall and don't have to worry about measuring from the largest diameter. Since I only have one vehicle it was easy to make a measurement device. I use a ~6' 1"x 3" board with a couple of short vertical boards on the ends and a nail in each vert board. It stands up by itself and somewhat under under the tires. My measure spot is the raised rib on the middle of the tire at about axle level. Front to back measure spot is exactly 19.25" apart. Put one nail on one tire and then measure the gap from the other nail to the other tire. If the front gap is 0.5" and the rear gap is 0.25" that gives a difference of 0.25". The angle in degrees is the inverse tangent of 0.25 / 19.25 = 0.744 degrees. Extrapolate out to the tire diameter if you need toe in inches / mm. Change side B, use TAN angle a to give side A. Or back calculate from book degrees to in/mm.

Actual adjustment is a guess. A couple of ball bearing Lazy Susans would help but it's only once every few years so just measure, adjust, and repeat as necessary.

Two of these would do the job though:

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX