90 f/s bronco steering play

hi, need some help ...my 90 full size bronco has a ton of play in the steering....I understand that there maybe a screw/bolt that adjusts this...so ive heard anyway.If not whats to blame or replace. Please let me know. k Thank you!!! Rob

Reply to
Rob

There is a preload adjustment. It is seldom needed with power steering. It is the large screw with a locknut on top of the box. You must be extremely careful to not over adjust the screw. Have you checked to be sure all the gearbox bolts are tight and that the rag joint is in good condition. More often than not, gross play is a rag joint problem. Your rag joint may be under a cover over the column shaft a few inches from the gearbox. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch to make sure both halves of the shaft turn together - no slack permitted.

Reply to
lugnut