Adjusting carburetors for oxygenated gasoline

As usual, I failed to listen to my brain, which told me that a sudden change indicated a component failure, and this wasn't the first time I made such a mistake: I once thought that my computer monitor was failing because its picture was gradually darkening (the screen was just very dusty), and when I was having trouble hearing my TV, I concluded that I was going deaf (a capacitor in the TV's audio amplifier had gone bad).

My vacuum hoses are the factory originals, > 20 years old, but only one cracked. Maybe that's why Toyota charges $6 a foot for this hose and sells it only in 4' lengths.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Scott in Florida

Hose is hose. Unless it has a large diameter and is formed with a bend (like cooling system hoses), they can be had for much less than that at most decent auto parts shops.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Toyota hose seems to be a lot better than normal vacuum hose and takes a lot, lot longer to harden or crack, maybe because of the grey outer layer over the inner black layer. I've heard of people preferring it even for non-Toyota vehicles.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Yeah, and all the companies that make replacement rubber fuel system components, too.

And another thing- has anyone else noted that this winter-blend swill they call gasoline has an ungodly high vapor pressure? The stuff boils at damn near room temperature. My old carbureted cars *never* vapor lock in the hottest of summer (including dropping into city traffic with the AC blasting after cruising for 2 hours at 85 on I-10 at an ambient of over 110F last summer), but on a warm day in winter its almost guaranteed :-/

I know twiddling the vapor pressure is supposed to lower emissions in winter by allowing the fuel to more fully vaporize in a cold engine, but SHEESH! Its got to be adding tons (literally!) of raw hydrocarbons to the atmosphere through evaporation. Another "feel good" green idea that actually harms both the customer and the environment....

Reply to
Steve

Back on your knees

Reply to
<HLS

It is good, and much nicer than the Gates stuff. Even nicer is the BMW hose with the cotton braid overtop, which is actually cheaper than the Toyota stuff although you have to buy something like thirty meters at a time.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey