Parking Brake

I have a 2000 Ford Escort ZX2. When I drive it and shift into second gear for the first time while the car is on, my parking brake light on the dash comes on. I check the parking brake and it is not engaged. What is wrong with it and what can I do to fix it? The light also stays on basically no matter what until I shut the car off.

Reply to
c_cook2007

Check the fluid level in the master cylinder. It might be low and your shift makes it slosh around and activate the light. I think the same light is often used for both low fluid warning as well as parking brake. But I could be wrong.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You are correct.

Don

Don

after checking fluid the next thng i'd do is check the switch on brake pedal..good luck..

Reply to
Scrapper

It sounds like you are talking about the 'brake failure' warning light. This means the brakes have failed and the vehicle is not safe to drive until you find out 'why' the brakes have failed.

If you get stopped by the police for any reason and they see this light on, you will be on the back end of a tow truck likely with an expensive ticket to boot. (been there, he would not believe for one second it was a failure in th park brake cable causing the light to go on.)

The fluid check is the first step to see if one side hasn't got a leak and emptied out.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I have a 2000 Ford Escort ZX2. When I drive it and shift into second gear
Reply to
Mike Romain