advice on removing scratches on clear plastic in front of instrument cluster

I recently was detailing my car and noticed after that there are now continuous scratches on the clear plastic in front of the instrument cluster. Not sure how it happened, the terrycloth towel I was using may have had a pebble in it. They don't feel deep. I tried some LCD polish and microfiber cloth which improved things a bit but is taking way too much elbow grease. Is there something else that would work to fix this? Thanks

Reply to
techman41973

Go to an eyedoctor. They sell a wax type block for taking similar scratches out of eyeglasses - stuff works wonders. Shouldn't set you back more than a couple bucks, and one block will last a lifetime if you don't wear eyeglasses. I do, and get a few years per block.

Reply to
DanKMTB

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1178826608.587212.251820 @u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

Brasso, a metal polish available at any grocery store. Put a goodly amount on a clean soft old T-shirt and rub away. The more you rub, the clearer it will get.

Keep it off painted surfaces.

Reply to
Tegger

I've used toothpaste and a terry towel for years as a safe plastic polish (and it smells good too!) You dont need or want any chemical interaction, just a superfine abrasive. A washcloth would probably be the perfect size for that job. I bet the microfiber would work, too. I always felt the roughness of the terry added a slight 'extra' oomph to the job vs plain cotton, but never tried microfiber.

I usually have better luck with a linear motion...not circular.

When done, wipe off with a damp CLEAN SOFT cloth, inspect you work, redo as needed.

You may be amazed at how well it works...

You could use some wax to help fill in any fine scratches left over. ..If there ARE any :)

--Don Byrer Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer