ADVICES ARE WELCOME

Hi all, I am a graduate computer engineer and I would like to see into car's usage of computers. What I really would like to know is how microcontrollers (ECU) in cars work in order to make the engine work. I have a basic knowledge about how engines work but I would find very intresting to interfere on that. I've tryed to find something on the web but I got confused. I would like to hear some suggestions.

Thanks in advance, Konstantinos

Reply to
Kostas

I have a Chevy Trailblazer and on a hot day rear window wiper does the darnest thing. It just starts working by itself and nothing I do can make it stop. So I picked up the original dealer manual to see if there is a way I can diagnose the thing. Good news is that there is a way, bad news is that it is not as easy as I have thought.

Now for the cool part which you may find interesting:

Entire car has a serial bus and everything is built on top of it. It has ECU for the engine. It also has BCU (Body Control Module). When you click the switch on the dashboard, signal goes to BCU as a different level voltage (depending on the speed you set). BCU sends a message packet to wiper control module which then sends a packet to motor control module. And every message sent accross the entire car through serial bus backbone. I thought that was cool. All that just to make the wiper move once in a while.

Sorry don't have any real information. I am in software engineering, but mostly do process control stuff(oil refineries, powerplants...). I was thinking of moving into cars, but too comfortable where I am right now.

-- Dennis

Reply to
Dennis M

WOW, I would have thought that to become a graduate computer engineer that spelling(i.e. 'tryed')and a command of the english language(i.e. 'advices are welcome')would be required. Unless you are posting from a country where english is a second language,please disregard this message.

JT

Reply to
jim

Dennis,

Many autos use a serial data buss, usually a C.A.N. buss, to communicate with various modules. It is very interesting and one can tap into that data buss, too.

You can build up a micro (8051 family is my favorite) and use some CAN devices, i.e., controller and interface and interface those to the micro and you can do all sorts of things.

If you don't want to design your own, there are a few kits that will allow you to tap into the buss and read messages. You could write some software in assembly or "C" and have a lot of fun.

Cass

Reply to
C_a_s_s_no_DAMN_spam______

Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing, the new...the fabulous, MegaSquirt!

-miT

Reply to
Tim H.

Don't worry. Your country's engineers are safe and well educated. Where I come from, English are optional. I speak better that I write though :). Anyway, thanks everyone for giving me the info I had asked for.

Reply to
Kostas