Air Conditioning cuts off

I posted this to alt.autos.acura, the only response I got was to repost here - I hope someone here can help me out.

'98 Integra, 210K miles, no serious problems. > > Recently, the A/C started cutting off intermittently. Usually happens > when it's particularly hot (we live in GA, so this happens often right > now) . I've checked the freon charge, and it's showing OK. I think > something's causing the clutch to disengage. A friend told me she had > a similar problem & the shop siad it was "a sensor" that was shutting > the system off. Could be, but I'm not ready (yet) to spend the $$ at > the shop if I can do some home diagnostics. > > Any suggestions as to what sensor & where, or fault isolation > techniques that will work on this system? >
Reply to
rowesouth

Could be an overcharge so that the high pressure switch is shutting down the compressor to prevent a blowout. Check the high and low side pressures and see if they are consistent with the ambient air temperature (tables are provided in most service manuals).

Could also be an inoperative cooling fan allowing the condnsor pressure to get too high. Make sure the cooling fans are operating when the AC is on, and switching to high speed (or kicking in an extra fan, however that system works) at high temps.

Reply to
Steve

How did you check the freon charge? By eyeball? ("...showing OK"). The only way to be sure is with a good set of gauges, measuring system pressure. The amount of refrigerant might be a little bit low. That can cause the suction pressure to go low enough to shut off the compressor clutch. There's a pressure switch to cut power to the clutch in the event that refrigerant is lost.

Reply to
the fly

Sounds like your condenser core is probably dirty. Hose your condenser down with parts washer, and GENTLY rinse it out. A direct blast from a pressure washer can lay the fins over and block air flow. In fact, maybe someone already did that and it's what's causing your problem. If the fins are all folded over you might be able to get a "fin comb" at a parts store and straighten them back out. Also check for leaves and crap in between the core and the radiator or a failed fan. It'll cause the same problem. A dirty/blocked core will cause higher head pressures on the high side of the system, and if it gets too high the compressor will cut out. If that goes on too long it'll char the oil and cause mechanical problems. If that doesn't help, you'll need some pressure gauges or at least an IR thermometer go do much more troubleshooting.

Reply to
B.B.