Android / PC diagnostic software

Ever since I purchased my Lenovo tablet, Tegra 3.0, I've considered diagno stic software for it. I have an old laptop that might serve as well.
I'm looking for opinions on software that goes beyond Touchscan / Obdwiz / Torque software. I want to be able to pull codes / DTC's, reset the codes, etc., but I also want to be able to monitor sensors, DPFE voltage, EGR sol enoid voltage, etc. So, I don't want just a code reader. More like a soft ware scanner that can display sensor values in real-time.
Of course, I know I can spend upwards of $300 to $2500 for software, but I' d rather spend $80 - $100, and still be able to work with GM, Ford, (KIA?). I don't know if such capability exists in software of that price. I've l ooked at Auterre, which lets you monitor up to 6 PID's, for $153 + $49 for make-specific enhanced modules, but I haven't read any posts or reviews fro m anyone that's used it.
Feedback of all kinds, even those that have used Touchscan / Obdwiz / Torgu e software is welcome. I've been running down a P0401 code, involving EGR, EGR solenoid, and DPFE, and vacuum issues. I thought now might be a good time to test such software.
I'm hoping I've come to the right place. If you have suggestions about gro ups that might be more appropriate, please feel free to inform me.
Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you want access to live data and more you would really be better of buying a decent scan tool instead of the laptop. While there is software out there that does what you want it is not in the 100 dollar range.
http://www.autoenginuity.com/ Does a lot and if you add in make specific modules as needed it isn't all that expensive. I used it a few years ago until I got my current scan tools. I had the Pro version that covered everything they had at the time. Think it was around $1,000.00 or so.
--
Steve W.

It's certainly the kitchen sink model for the Pros. Looks great, but not for a budget. Sadly, I can only dream of such things.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That's why I said you buy the basic package, then build it as needed. I think the base package starts at around 300 bucks. Then add modules as you need them. They run around 150-200 bucks. No reason to have heavy truck or Kia coverage if you aren't going to need it.
A true diagnostic scan tool that allows you to get in there and see what's going on isn't going to be cheap.
One of the reasons for this is because of all the different OEM protocols and languages used.
OBDII is a standard, however it only says that the vehicle must use a set of common codes to identify a set of issues involving the engine and emissions systems only. (These are the P0XXX code set, IE: Generic OBDII codes)
It doesn't cover live data PIDs or any other modules. (ABS, BCM, Sound, Accessories and many more.)
To access ALL the information takes a different protocol and many times a different pin connection and voltage values at the OBD port. This is why many scan tools used "personality keys". You plug in the key to match the pins and signals for the year, make and model and module you want to communicate with.
Even a dealer level machine is limited if you put it on a different brand.
For a DIY who wants more than just a code reader the prices go up quick. With software in a laptop it seems you either have the low end stuff that does little or the higher end stuff.
I know the mid range units have come down in price. Units like the Innova and Actron hand held units are reasonably good and cover
http://www.canobd2.com/en-US/Product/List/87448f82-f9a3-4c87-9384-4c0dea8a7168
http://www.actron.com/product_category.php?id $9
--
Steve W.

Steve W. wrote:

Maybe the tool rental places have those things? It doesn't make sense for anyone who is not in the business to spend that much.
--

Reply in group, but if emailing, add a zero and remove the last word.

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Some do. Just look it over close before you rent it. Many places will also pull codes for free. Write down the actual code(s) they get. It can make it MUCH easier to research the problem.
If they can pull OEM specific codes it's even better.
--
Steve W.