are hydraulic clutches adjustable?

I have a new clutch which starts to slip after about 10km to the point the car won't move. The clutch has free play when it sits over night but loses free play once it starts driving. the mechanic is suggesting i might need a new hydraulic cylinder. He says that it can't be the clutch. I know he could have put it in backwards or the bearing could be wrong or he could have oil on clutch or something else. The car is

1991 240sx.
Reply to
robertmaasjr

Bleed the slave cylinder and set the pedal free play. If it has freeplay after sitting, it has air in the line. Driving it pumps it up and may not allow the clutch to fully engage because it is pushing against the pedal stop. If this works, now wonder why air was in the system and which end is the culprit. Was this freeplay- no freeplay thing going on before the clutch was replaced ? Have you ever had to add fluid ?

Reply to
Akacguy6161

I bought car two days ago.The clutch was replaced 200 kms ago by the old owner. i don't know if fluid was ever added. The old owner got the clutch replaced to sell the car so he would have taken any shortcut possible. He was not the most honest guy in the world. thanks for a good answer.

Reply to
robertmaasjr

Make sure to inspect the whole system carefully. Some years back, a coworker of mine remarked that he kept having to add fluid to the hydraulic clutch on his Toyota van, though no leaks were apparent, and that he had to vigorously pump the clutch a few times to get it to release. When it got to the point where it would not release at all, he tore the system down. Next morning, he came into the office, put a medium-sized "U" shaped piece of metal on my desk and asked if I could identify it.

It was his clutch release fork. Turns out his hydraulic system was fine and hadn't been leaking at all. Rather, he'd been progressively hydraulically bending the clutch fork!

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern