Bike Clutches question.

One for those who favour vehicles with at least two wheels too little.

Bike in neutral, pull the clutch in all the way. Engage first. Start releasing the clutch.

How much of the available travel at the lever will the clutch actually use ? i.e. will the clutch be fully engaged with the lever still in mid travel or does the lever need to be fully out to have the clutch fully engaged ?

It's a hydraulic setup - ZX10 / ZZR1100.

I'm trying to work all this out so I can have as much travel as possible at the pedal in the car and a smooth clutch.

Cheers

John F (Seriously, you thought I was actually called 'Bob Sherunckle' ?)

P.S. I would have asked this question on a motorsickle forum, but they're a bit 'bikey' in there...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Bike clutches are very smooth and operate (lock up solidly) right at the end of the lever travel. You want about the sme travel in total as the clutch lever gives you. It will start to engage about half way and will slip even with a light touch.

The other thing is that the clutch may benefit from stronger springs or diaphram (or two) in a car and it wont matter because legs are stronger than hands.

Reply to
Burgerman

From memory it's usually about halfway to two thirds let out.

Reply to
Conor

A bike clutch is a 2 finger operation, some are even 1 finger, you won't feel anything with a booted foot. (I know some girls drive barefoot but they are mad)

At least one car firm that puts bike engines in cars using foot operation modifies the clutch leverage ratio to give feel.

others also have some sort of unspecified mod "Hayabusa Clutch Mods and Hydraulic system"
HD springs I see - gives foot something to work against and betterclamping when engaged but won't save it from burning if you slip ittoo much. Once rolling"TrickShifter Clutchless Gear Change System" Sorry I can't be more help but yes you do need to do something.

Reply to
Peter Hill

You still need the full movement because the extra slack prevents clutch drag on multiplate wet clutches. Just give it the same amount of total movement as stock. And fit bigger clutch springs. Trying to make it more "controllable" will encourage more slippage as you release it and wear it out faster especially as the car is heavier than the bike.

Bike clutches actually dont so much wear as overheat and a) distort the metal driven plates b) turn the oil black and burn the linings away all at once very suddenly.

Have fun!

Reply to
Burgerman

My wish is to have the full stroke of the pedal equating to the full stroke of the clutch lever. So many people I know end up using the wrong master cylinders and the clutch operates over a fraction of the travel.

If I end up wanting the pedal heavier, I will fit an assister spring to the pedal.

This is all on the basis that I don't end up going for a two pedal box. If, as I intend, I end up with a trickshifter, I could use a hand clutch. If the clutch is only used to get off the line and otherwise redundant, it would benefit me to have that space in the pedal box.

Like this guy.

Left pedal = brakes. Hand clutch He also has a 1400cc Hayabusa which makes rather more power than my engine...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Love the footwork. And the speed. Seems like a nice bloke too.

I was going to go to that event but they wanted £10 to get in so I walked off in disgust.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Quite right too.

Also love the footwork. Very scared of the speed.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Bob Sherunckle wibbled...

You don't say?!!

Depends if its a hydraulic clutch or a cable operated one.

Cable : 2/3rds ish

Hydraulic, like wot you have : 1/2ths to 9/10ths depending on the bike.

From memory my old ZZR1100 started biting at 2/3rds, was fully engaged at

4/5ths or less.

They should all be smooth though. The amount of movement from "starting to bike to fully engaged" might be a very small smount of movement, which might make it seem jerky.

Reply to
frag

I were joking -honest.

Thanks for that.

I'm not a regular in any way over on the bike forums and didn't want to be rude and butt in with a question only to dissapear again.

Cheers

JF

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle