Are OE Replicated cabin air filters safe to use?

I need to change the cabin air filters on the Yaris'. Is it safe to use OE replicated cabin air filters? Less generally since there is always some
garbage in replicated parts, does anyone know of a good quality replicated cabin air filter brand?
I have searched on the net, but most of the hits I came up with online sites I've never heard of so I'm not going to buy from them. The prices range from $8 straight up to $35, and the carbon/charcoal filters tend to average $24-$35. I think the latter are overkill for our (family) usage and location, so I'm more interested in good leads for regular cabin air filters. Toyota wants too much, plus there is an install charge LOL (I've read it takes all of 10 minutes to do).
Econo-cars
On 11/06/2010 07:42 AM, econo_cars wrote:

in order to make a decision, you first need to correctly understand why the filter is there - it's not to "clean" the air you breathe, it's to remove particulates so they don't accumulate in the air conditioner matrix, grow mold and subsequently stink.
as for which to buy, generally, you get what you pay for. it's much cheaper [and easier] to buy good filters than it is to remove and wash an a/c evaporator element. alcohol "disinfectant" sprays work at temporarily managing odor on contaminated a/c systems, but it's a short term thing and does nothing to address the accumulated organics that are the breeding ground for the mold.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On Nov 6, 10:42 am, "econo_cars" <reply_to_Group_o...@Use-Author- Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

tes

ge

I'm not sure what you mean by OE replicated. If that simply means a filter with the correct physical dimensions then if you pay $10.00 you will get a $10.00 filter. There are no secrets here - you generally get what you pay for. If you buy a filter from one of the major filter manufacturers or from the dealer then you will pay more than $10.00 but you will get a better product. What are we talking about here - maybe spending $25.00 vs $10.00 once a year?
Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by OE replicated. If that simply means a filter with the correct physical dimensions then if you pay $10.00 you will get a $10.00 filter. There are no secrets here - you generally get what you pay for. If you buy a filter from one of the major filter manufacturers or from the dealer then you will pay more than $10.00 but you will get a better product. What are we talking about here - maybe spending $25.00 vs $10.00 once a year?
******** I dont agree with you about price versus quality. You SHOULD get better quality if you pay for it but many times you dont. A lot of times the dealerships will soak you for 2-3 times the cost of an equivalent parts store item. And you are not guaranteed to get any better part, and in some cases you wont get as good.
Napa Online has at least three cabin filters for the 2010 Yaris. They range from about $14 to about $18. The NAPA filter is about $16.
NAPA has good parts and I would have no qualms at all replacing the factory cabin air filter with the NAPA one.

I've found that the OEM Toyota and Honda cabin filters tend have more surface-area than the aftermarket filters I've seen. OEM also seems to fit a bit better. Does that make OEM worth the extra cost? I guess that's up to the buyer.
--
Tegger

"Tegger" wrote...

Napa sells the Wix (wixfilters.com and wixfilters.ca) that are actually the OE filters used by both Honda and Acura North America. They sell them to the public for about $20 less under their own name than Honda/Accura charges a customer to have a name on it.
I think people are getting confused with aftermarket which from what I've read and experienced in the past does not claim to be OE or OE replication. They are replications but they make no guarantee that a manufacturer warranty won't be voided because aftermarket typically (not always) uses cheaper materials to make parts more affordable. The filters like the Wix filters have manufacturer approval since in some cases like this, the part is identical, in other instances it is improved (could be in newer model cars, and can be used in older models).
Econo-cars
On 11/06/2010 01:57 PM, econo_cars wrote:

untrue. some aftermarket very much tries to claim to be o.e.m. - there's an "oem" as a manufacturer name coming out of china that is deliberately designed to deceive in this way and be mistaken for the original equipment manufacturer abbreviation.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT-UPPER-CONTROL-ARM-BALL-JOINT-OEM-HONDA-CIVIC-1993-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aHondaQ7cModelQ3aCivicQQhashZitem4aa4f3a491QQitemZ320595010705QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
this is NOT a genuine honda supplier product - it's a chinese replicant and it's very far from anything like oem quality. but they get away with it because "oem" is their "brand name".

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT-UPPER-CONTROL-ARM-BALL-JOINT-OEM-HONDA-CIVIC-1993-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aHondaQ7cModelQ3aCivicQQhashZitem4aa4f3a491QQitemZ320595010705QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I'm not referring to obscure chinese knock-off scammers. I'm referring to legit brick and mortar, and well known online stores (North American) sellers who advertise themselves as aftermarket, and have no qualms about stating they equipment is not OE replicated. Often you can tell just from reading their descriptions of the parts they have engineered that they are not OE. They will say things like we have engineered a more efficient design which will mount with our special mounting bracket. Many claim that their equipment is better than OEM, but unless they've received manufacturer's approval the buyer is at risk of losing their warranty coverage by using re-engineered parts.

Yip lots of scams out there. Buyer beware. It is a part of the reason why I asked my question in the first place. Before researching more today I wasn't aware that OE replacates are not the same as aftermarket stuff. I also wasn't aware that many OE replicates are actually the exact same part that car manufacturers are using, just with a different label.
Econo-cars
in message news:ib4ff8$cs6 The filters like the Wix

In some cases, these exact aftermarket parts are the same as OEM. The car manufacturers do not manufacture every screw, filter, and bearing. They may buy from the same manufacturers which supply to the aftermarket.
I havent seen anything from Toyota, for example, which says they might void the warranty if I use a Fram filter. They have some recommendations/specifications about how often to change the oil and filter, and which type of oil should be used, but as long as I keep the records and do the service maintenance, my warranty, they say, is protected.
There are probably some items which come via Toyota or Honda which are superior, because they are likely specked from Japan and demand a specific item. But not all parts are so critical.
On 11/6/10 5:35 PM, in article

Good Lord! We're talking about a cabin filter. They all work. Ten years ago no car even had them. The only reason I see to pay more is if there is some possibility to extend the change interval (there's not). It's certainly not a warranty issue. You can take it out and totally forget about it if you want to.
The last time I called the local Honda dealer for a price on the factory cabin filter for the (gone now and not missed) '06 CR-V, they wanted $60 - each! for the two filters. The aftermarket filters sold by Autozone for $20 (for the pair) had apparently identical material and exactly the same number of pleats.
"E. Meyer" wrote >

Toyota warranty services says you can take it out, but if anything goes wrong with the A/C or related parts during the Toyota warranty period the work needed will not be covered under warranty. For the 2009 2010 Yaris models the filter is to be replaced at 10,000 miles or once a year, whichever comes first. Due to the necessity of the cabin filter in some areas more than others (such as driving on dirt roads often, or exposure to high smog areas) the cabin filter is to be checked at all service intervals.
Econo-cars
On 11/7/10 9:55 AM, in article ib6i5g$2ei$ snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net, "econo_cars"

It actually says all that? Or did some dealer monkey just tell you that?

It must be significantly easier to remove and check than most other Japanese cars. I would be really surprised if anyone (including the dealers) actually pull them out and check them at every service.

A Toyota warranty services Rep said that when I called. I asked the questions based from what people were saying here.

The dealerships have to check them at the miles/6mth intervals, and change if needed, and change them at the miles/1yr interval. The dealerships are very eager to change them, its good money for easy work.
I've pulled one filter out, but have not changed it yet. Not having done it before it took me approximately 20-25mins to pop the glove compartment off, find the filter cover, and pull out the filter, and then reverse to reassemble everything. I suspect a dealership mechanic can change the cabin filter in about 10 minutes or less.
Econo-cars

Any failure would have to be attributable to the removed filter.
If the AC clutch failed, they'd be hard pressed to deny warranty coverage. OTOH, if the AC evaporator began leaking and they could show that organic debris had accumulated in the evaporator case, they'd have a strong case.

The problem for me would be not knowing enough about the technicals like you mention above, so I couldn't argue with Toyota that a missing and/or clogged cabin air filter isn't the cause of the malfunction. I know the basics of cars, I know the basics of what a cabin air filter does. Beyond that I'd need someone like you to argue for my why the warranty shouldn't have been voided. Since I don't have that I have to follow whatever procedure Toyota warranty services tells me to follow. I'll do that as cheaply as possible, because I don't believe a cabin filter is really needed, or at least I drove many cars over many years that never had them and nothing negative came of driving without one.
Econo-cars
On 11/07/2010 05:20 PM, Econo-cars wrote:

but you've been told why they're used - keep the a/c evaporator clean.

unfiltered a/c systems are subject to debris accumulation, mold growth, and in extreme cases, corrosion. filters are a very good idea. to /not/ use one on a car that has them makes as much sense as using a mechanical distributor on a car that could run electronic. the car will run, but at a cost.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

"jim beam" wrote

True, but all of my cars in the past have had A/C and none of them to my knowledge have had cabin air filters. I've never had A/C problems. That's why I say I don't really believe the filter is needed in the new cars either.

Thanks for the explain. I am going to get manufactuer approved filters and keep putting one in once a year even after warranty. It really isn't that much a year now that I don't have to get it done at the dealership. My big surprise today was having someone at work tell me about this mom and pop reseller whose only customer is the federal government. They ordered me cabin air filters for the yaris from Wix (approved OE) for only $15 each which is what government would pay. Amazing. Nobody else came in less than $24 and up. So now my savings are $70 from what it would have cost me to get both Yaris' done at the dealership, yeah!
Econo-cars
econo_cars wrote:

Strange that the maintenance guide doesn't even show a replacement interval for the cabin air filter for ANY year Yaris.
http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php?v=0&y=0&int_id=0&done=1
--
Steve W.

Top of that page you provided says: The information represented on this site is for reference only and may change or be updated throughout the year. Toyota reserves the right to alter, withdraw or discontinue the availability of information on this site without prior notice. Reliance upon the information on this site creates no liability for Toyota, its employees, representatives or agents. Please refer to your Schedule Maintenance Guide for maintenance information, or contact your local dealer if you have questions.
The written Toyota Yaris Maintenance Guide that comes with the car has the cabin air filter being checked at 6mth intervals (replace if necessary) and to replace at the 1yr intervals. In other words the service manual does expect the cabin air filter to be changed at least once a year.
Econo-cars

I've found that Toyota OE parts pricing on maintenance items such as belts, hoses and filters to be extremely competitive with the aftermarket.