Are OE Replicated cabin air filters safe to use?

Any failure would have to be attributable to the removed filter.

If the AC clutch failed, they'd be hard pressed to deny warranty coverage. OTOH, if the AC evaporator began leaking and they could show that organic debris had accumulated in the evaporator case, they'd have a strong case.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That would be a neat trick since micronAir does not rebrand parts for Carquest. Carquest sources their filters from two suppliers. The red and some blue line filters are made by Champion Labs while the remainder of the blue line and the entire gold line are made by Wix. The cabin air filter line are sourced from Wix and are made in the Dillon plant.

Not according to SEMA, the FTC or any Auto manufacturer. They all state that After Market parts are those sold through ANY channel which carry any part number other than the factory number.

Doesn't matter in the long run anyway.

Reply to
Steve W.

Strange that the maintenance guide doesn't even show a replacement interval for the cabin air filter for ANY year Yaris.

Steve W.

A Toyota warranty services Rep said that when I called. I asked the questions based from what people were saying here.

The dealerships have to check them at the miles/6mth intervals, and change if needed, and change them at the miles/1yr interval. The dealerships are very eager to change them, its good money for easy work.

I've pulled one filter out, but have not changed it yet. Not having done it before it took me approximately 20-25mins to pop the glove compartment off, find the filter cover, and pull out the filter, and then reverse to reassemble everything. I suspect a dealership mechanic can change the cabin filter in about 10 minutes or less.

Econo-cars

Reply to
Econo-cars

The problem for me would be not knowing enough about the technicals like you mention above, so I couldn't argue with Toyota that a missing and/or clogged cabin air filter isn't the cause of the malfunction. I know the basics of cars, I know the basics of what a cabin air filter does. Beyond that I'd need someone like you to argue for my why the warranty shouldn't have been voided. Since I don't have that I have to follow whatever procedure Toyota warranty services tells me to follow. I'll do that as cheaply as possible, because I don't believe a cabin filter is really needed, or at least I drove many cars over many years that never had them and nothing negative came of driving without one.

Econo-cars

Reply to
Econo-cars

Top of that page you provided says: The information represented on this site is for reference only and may change or be updated throughout the year. Toyota reserves the right to alter, withdraw or discontinue the availability of information on this site without prior notice. Reliance upon the information on this site creates no liability for Toyota, its employees, representatives or agents. Please refer to your Schedule Maintenance Guide for maintenance information, or contact your local dealer if you have questions.

The written Toyota Yaris Maintenance Guide that comes with the car has the cabin air filter being checked at 6mth intervals (replace if necessary) and to replace at the 1yr intervals. In other words the service manual does expect the cabin air filter to be changed at least once a year.

Econo-cars

Reply to
Econo-cars

No trick, every OE Carquest is just a rebranded OEM part or an OE that meets or exceeds OEM so auto manufacturers give it warranty approval. (CARQUEST label is CAR in blue oval, QUEST in red oval). When I contacted a local Carquest by telephone on Saturday I was told they had an OE cabin air filter for the Yaris. When I asked them if it would void the Toyota warranty the rep said no it has Toyota approval, and went on to say this OE cabin air filter was the exact filter that Toyota sells as OEM. He said when I got there on Monday bring in my current Toyota OEM filter and I would see the only difference is the CARQUEST label and the price. MicronAir is the OEM for the cabin air filters that are in Toyota cars so it isn't a big leap.

OE is its own category and forming for the purpose of separating itself from the cheap stuff that for too long flooded the aftermarket distribution circles. OE may not be the OEM, but in many cases now-a-days the rebranded OE parts originated at the OEM. Anyway these two articles explain 2 points of view from major contributors to the traditional aftermarket market, who are trying to emphasize the importance of OE distinction:

Econo-cars

Reply to
Econo-cars

but you've been told why they're used - keep the a/c evaporator clean.

unfiltered a/c systems are subject to debris accumulation, mold growth, and in extreme cases, corrosion. filters are a very good idea. to /not/ use one on a car that has them makes as much sense as using a mechanical distributor on a car that could run electronic. the car will run, but at a cost.

Reply to
jim beam

True, but all of my cars in the past have had A/C and none of them to my knowledge have had cabin air filters. I've never had A/C problems. That's why I say I don't really believe the filter is needed in the new cars either.

Thanks for the explain. I am going to get manufactuer approved filters and keep putting one in once a year even after warranty. It really isn't that much a year now that I don't have to get it done at the dealership. My big surprise today was having someone at work tell me about this mom and pop reseller whose only customer is the federal government. They ordered me cabin air filters for the yaris from Wix (approved OE) for only $15 each which is what government would pay. Amazing. Nobody else came in less than $24 and up. So now my savings are $70 from what it would have cost me to get both Yaris' done at the dealership, yeah!

Econo-cars

Reply to
Econo-cars

My car has no cabin air filter at all. My wife's does, but she usually drives with the windows down anyway. Neither one of us have noticed any health problems resulting from this. So if no cabin air filter is not a problem, and a bypassed-by-open-window cabin air filter is not a problem, I do not see why a cheap quality one would be a problem.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey