backing up downhill with the first gear

Hi,

(Sorry for my bad vocabulary in this topic.) I have a car with manual change. Today I needed to make a u-turn on a narrow street "A". Another narrow street "B" begins at some point on "A", and goes uphill, perpendicularly to street "A". I used street "B" to make the u-turn. The problem is that B is on a slope. In one of the movements, I was going backwards not in neutral but with the first gear and pressing the clutch. That was ok until a car coming on street "A" distracted my attention and I took out my foot off the clutch. The first gear stopped the backward movement. The car stopped and the engine stalled. During 1 second or so, the car had been moving backwards with the first gear (going downhill on street "B"). My question is: is this bad for the engine or the gear box? If so, what may be the symptoms of the possible damage?

Thank you.

Reply to
acuario

Shep

It's not the nicest thing to your car, but if the car still runs normally you likely didn't do any significant damage.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

let me see go back to B then up to C then to D

lol lol lol Get in your car and GO!!!! No Dammage Done

Reply to
tudysmuck

The symtoms of damage is that the car moves forward jerkily, or wont move at all, with lots of mechanical noise, or the clutch slips. If it drives okay, it is okay. Not good treatment, but modern clutches and gears are pretty hefty. If parts were overstressed, they could fail at later date, but the repair then is the same as repair now, so don't worry about it. If clutch or gearbox fails in one or two months, slap your forehead, and resolve to be more careful in future.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Hi Don,

Luckily, the car does not show any of the symptoms you have described, but I understand that there may have been some overstress.

Do you know where is the part that actually blocked the motion? I mean, if you take the gearbox out of the car, configured it in first gear and as if the clutch pedal was NOT pressed, could you rotate the rod that goes to the wheels bidirectionally? Now with the engine. If you isolate it from the gearbox, could you rotate the rod that used to connect the engine to the gearbox bidirectionally? The one that blocked the motion should be the one that cannot rotate bidirectionally. And at the same time, it should also be the one that was stressed. I have no idea about car mechanics, but intuition would tell me so.

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
acuario

acuario wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

i imagine your clutch disc was so confused it needed therapy......if it recovered ok there shouldnt be much damage. just a little more wear on clutch disc and nice and shiny pres. plate........kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven