first gear/reverse

Hi

I have a 12 year old Escort, lately it has been difficult getting it in to first gear and/or reverse. Somedays are fine, others are a pig, even if the engine is off. It does *not* make any crunching or grinding noises, and when driving there is *no* clutch slip at all. Often colder days are worse for selecting first/reverse - but not always.

It may go for several days with no problems, then it'll come back.

I understand from the manual that it could be a)clutch fault, b)worn or damaged gear linkage, c) incorrectly-adjusted gear linkage, or d) worn synchroniser assemblies.

Is it more likely to be the gear linkage than the clutch from the symptoms described - or could it just as easily be the clutch? Could a clutch be faulty, yet have no clutch slip? If the clutch were replaced would the linkage be changed as standard?

thanks!

paddle :)

Reply to
the paddle

If the clutch is replaced the gearlinkage is undone and readjusted, clutch places often fail to get it right.

From your symptoms the most likely fault is that the gearlinkage is out of adjustment or worn out,

It is a bolt up adjuster just behind the gearbox, with an older car you sometimes need to make a minor adjustment from the original so that gear selection is easy, when new you would put the gearlever in 5 IIRC with a pin in the linkage, put the gearbox into fifth with a thin screwdriver and do up the adjuster, you probably need to give the gear rod a very slight twist anti clockwise looking from behind after undoing the lock bolt, try it and see, if worse twist it the other way, only tiny amounts of adjustment are needed at a time.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

My son has a 6 year old Escort, and although it's a different car in some respects to yours, it's the same thing. Reverse is a bitch sometimes, just when that 3 point turn is required... It's defo what mrcheerful said; gave a wee garage take a look at it. You could possibly DIY. It doesn't bother me at the moment when I do (not very often) drive the car, but better to sort it sooner rather than later.

Reply to
David R

It's likely the clutch not clearing properly - you don't get a crunch because modern boxes have synchromesh on reverse as well as forward gears. The easy way to check is if they are ok to select with the engine stopped.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave the clue is: 'even with engine off'

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Dave,how old are the cars you have if you think a 12 year old Escort has a modern gearbox?

"...even if the engine is off." seems to cover that...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

OK. Then I'd say it sounds like a gear linkage (or, I suppose, gearbox) fault.

Reply to
David Taylor

IIRC, the first UK Ford with synchromesh on reverse was the Sierra.

Indeed. We're all entitled to a senior moment aren't we? Well, at least me;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which sierra is that then,? I know the sierras with type 9 boxes do not have anything except a plain gear (having rebuilt several).

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Indeed. (It was the MT75.) It was just the thought of an Escort having something considered modern!

Yep, it's part of the price we pay for living so long :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

DOHC and V6 models, post '89.