Surging in first gear

Hi;

Have a 86 GTI that has suddenly started misbehaving in first gear... surging/stalling.

This started after my son decided to give someone lessons in how to drive stick on the car (without asking/telling me)

It's very annoying... once out of first gear it seems ok so I don't think related to clutch wear...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Hi,

Could just be the throttle body intake boot (the rubber accordian-ribbed one between the TB and the plastic duct). If you get a split inside the "ribs", it'll buck like a bronco starting out in 1st. Crank it up, and gently pull at each rib since the cracks tend to not be visible just looking at it. The engine will surge due to the sudden blast of extra air (computer keeps trying to compensate for it). One of my 86 Golfs did that a few years ago. Only did it starting from a stop because the engine torque was enough to separate the hair line crack in it. Bought one from the dealer cheap. Hope this helps.

Bob (in ABQ)

Reply to
Bob

Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote: : Hi;

: Have a 86 GTI that has suddenly started misbehaving in first gear... : surging/stalling.

: This started after my son decided to give someone lessons in how to drive : stick on the car (without asking/telling me)

: It's very annoying... once out of first gear it seems ok so I don't think : related to clutch wear...

It's gotten worse, much worse... now it's first and second gear, almost impossible to get the car moving... it's almost like the car is dropping into gear... I'm thinking either trans link alignment or clutch :-(

Its as if you put the car in first, then drop the clutch...the surge/stall effect...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

The material symtom is: does the engine spin or surge with the clutch all the way out, or in other words, does the engine go to a higher RPM with no acceleration, movement with the clutch all the way out. If this is true, the student driver ruined your clutch

Harry

Reply to
Harry

Harry wrote: : The material symtom is: does the engine spin or surge with the clutch all : the way out, or in other words, does the engine go to a higher RPM with no : acceleration, movement with the clutch all the way out. If this is true, the : student driver ruined your clutch

: Harry

No... the first reply was right... I tried a duct tape and saran wrap test but that didn't help so I took it into the shop and they said the front motor mount had gone bad and was causing the motor to lift too high.

Not sure if we could have avoided the motor mount if my son had said something sooner... from now on, I think I'm going to have to drive that car at least once a week, just to check on it, since he insisted that it had always driven like that...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing