best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

background: I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

My query in a different area. In the sixties, I was always changing ignition cables attempting to minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio. (not really a problem since the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type that worked ok, but I cannot find it any more. (Most of this help in the 60's came from that Hams, thus I am including them in this question)

Now for the "new" question. What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti (with modern electronic distributor) R2?

Reply to
63Avanti

Most all new cars use anti-rf plugs and cables.. Just get a set of quality resistor plugs and resistor wires.

Reply to
tnom

There are only 2 types of RF supression wire: resistive and inductive. The latter is often referred to as "magnetic" and is widely available, but it doesn't seem to work any better than the resistive type. A significant amount of igniton noise comes from the connection between the plug and the plug wire, and grounded metal shields over the boots can help here. There are wire kits with these boots, mostly for German cars, or they can be made with metal tubing slipped snugly over the metal bases of the plugs.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Are you sure, first of all, that it's ignition noise you're experiencing, and not alternator whine, or EMI from another source? Or is this just all precautionary?

First thing I'd recommend, IF there's noise, is confirming the source of it, before putting the time and effort into addressing one possible source.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Yep...as Matt says.........

I've got a so, so AM-FM radio with "inexpensive" plug wires.

The ignition is quite...but the alternator whines a bit. I know for a fact it's the alternator because it's one of the one wire types that comes in at about 1600 rpm when cold. So a first start at low rpm...no chargeing....the radio is noise free. As soon as the alternator comes in....whiiinnne.....

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Just to clarify, he's talking about an Avanti here; having an all-fiberglass body, suppressing ANY source of noise is of utmost importance.

nate

Reply to
N8N

And it could be noise from a DC motor (fans for air/radiator). It could come a variety of sources. I would narrow it down, and it shouldn't be too hard to do either....

Bob

Reply to
Robert Kubichek

At one time alternator whine, or was it generator whine, could be fixed with a bypass capacitor available from your local auto parts store. YMMV.

Reply to
I. Care

Generally, to cut down the static noise (RFI) on older cars, you would find condensers on the alternator, distributor, wiper motor, and on the radio itself. There was also ignition shielding and resistor wires and plugs. The values on the condensers are all different, so swapping them may cause problems rather than being a remedy. I've never seen any on a heater or A/C fan motor, but it's also a source of RFI. Even sliding your butt on the seat covers will create a charge. You remember those little flexible tails that used to be attached to the chassis and drag on the ground?.

Reply to
SilverStude

Why even worry? My '64 R-2 was so noisy that I couldn't hear the FM anyhow. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

now this is interesting, I remember fabricating for my neighbor's '62 Ford a metal can with braided shielded wires to cover his distributor and cables out to the plugs. I no longer knew when he drove out of his driveway by watching the patterns on my TV (UHF). ;)

Now for the question. Any one know if these boots, if self-fabricated, are essentially a CYLINDER, grounded by contact with the engine block?

On Oct 29, 6:06 pm, do_not snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote: . A

Reply to
63Avanti

I recommend getting a copy of the ARRL Hints and Kinks for Radio Amateurs book... get one of the mid-fifties editions and there is a whole section on eliminating ignition noise with homebrew shielding over the plug wires and shield cans over the distributor.

I agree that with modern resistive wires, things will be a lot better. Back in the fifties, plug wires were normally copper. Often folks would buy it on long rolls and terminate it in the shop themselves. Today, plug wires have a conductive element that is conductive plastic, usually a nylon with carbon in it, and the wire itself has a few kilohms of resistance. That, combined with a modern coil design, means you get less high frequency ringing after the initial spark impulse which cuts way down on the noise.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I did not realize it was an Avanti. In that case, I think I would be worried less about noise issues than making sure the radio antenna had a proper centerpoise, because it can't use the metal body. The more _signal_ you get, the more noise you can live with.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

On piston-engined aircraft the plugs, wires, and magneto distributor caps are all metal and are grounded. The shielded cable is grounded at the mag end and the plug end. There's no ignition noise from such a setup.

Go here:

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

Yes. I made some from conduit that extended about 2" above the plugs. I found it didn't mater whether or not the tops were covered with metal, but I applied a bead of silicone RTV to prevent the sharp edges from cutting through the wire insulation. I slit the bottom of each tube lengthwise to make it easier to press it easier to press around the hex part of the plug.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Check

for EMI-reducing spark plug wires.

Reply to
Bob M.

That's the same outfit that told me they could supply 7mm wires but only if I wasn't putting the stainless shielding back in place.

Brooksie

Reply to
Brooksie

They also sold spark plugs with built in resistors.

greg

Reply to
GregS