Best Cam for?

I am interested in putting a cam into a small block chevy 350. The engine is mostly stock with the exception of headers, edelbrock performer rpm manifold with an edelbrock 600 cfm carb. I want a cam with a nice lope at idle without being too hot or having to put in a stall converter. I heard that the edelbrock performer cam is a good choice for the manifold/carb setup however, it is a smooth idle. I am definately looking for that muscle car lope. I appreciate your input!

Reply to
Steeleagle

Stan Weiss

My $.02 -> call comp cams. Buddy has a 72 Nova that's very similar to your engine. Current cam is a clone of a 60's design - 447 lift cam - idles roughly, but has no jam below about 4 grand, and because it's a stock bottom end he doesn't want to rev it to 6 grand. As such, comp had a couple of grinds for him that would give him a lot more torque down low and more "street" power with his current drivetrain. IMHO, the Performer cam (not the performer RPM) is not worth it - it's basically a stock cam... and if you're gonna do a cam swap, that's a lot of work for

15hp...

I do have to ask -> WHY would you want the crappy idle without the power? It's like buying a V6 Camaro - lousy ride and cramped without the jam. You can easily simulate the lope by pulling a plug wire and save yourself a lot of work. ;)

Ray

Reply to
ray