more power in a built up 350 chevy?

hey everyone, i have a 69 camaro with a 350 in it.. i have done alot of work to it, building it from the block up. it is a four bolt main, bored 40 over with high compresion- 10.5:1. it has a set of fuelly double humper heads with a 190 intake valve. also it has a wild comp cam. for easy air flow it has a pair of hooker headers on the exhaust side, with a edelbrock 750 cfm square flange carb on top of an edelbrock rpm performer high rise manifold. the carb is jetted stock right out of the box. im am running an hei distributor for better spark. my tranny is a th400 with a small 1500 rpm stall when i drive the car, it has alot of power, but it seems to me that it should have more. i am wondering if maybe my air fuel mixture needs to be messed with or if there are other things that i can do to the engine. also i am wondering that even with the high compression and a radical cam, if i can run nitrous? any information would help tremendously, thanks

69 maro
Reply to
crazedbadboy32

One step to look into is a higher stall torque converter, you don't mention what rear gear you are running either, that will make a big difference.

A "radical" camshaft is a design that will generally sacrifice low RPM torque to move the "power band" into a higher RPM range closer to peak HP. A higer stall converter and a lower rear gear will keep your engine's RPM higher and closer to the RPM where your Peak HP and torque will occur.

Adding NOS will always give you "more" but whether or not your motor can stand it depends on how much and how long you use it.

Reply to
anumber1

After agreeing with the too-wild cam idea, there is another place you can improve: the heads. Those double-hump heads with the 1.94 intake valves can be re-worked and 2.02 intakes installed--leaves only a fingernail-clearance between int. and exh. valves, but it WILL work.. While heads are off, there's a lot you can do with a dremel-like grinding tool. Just smoothing up the combustion chambers and runners yourself allows much more efficient flow, and if it can't get thru the valves and heads, it can't get out thru the headers and exhaust. You might wish to experiment with the distance your mufflers are from the engine--varying this distance can cause a feel-in-the-seat-of-the-pants difference in torque. There's a lot to be said about valves, heads, porting, polishing, etc. Often there is a lot overlooked here while placing more emphasis on pistons and compression and cams. HTH, & good luck. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I agree with you up to here......and then there might be a better solution. If you are talking about the old double humperheads from the '60s, and I think you are, take them off and sell them. Then buy some modern heads. People pay crazy prices for the double humpers and new technology heads are pretty reasonable, especially for a small block Chevy. My $.02.

Reply to
Kruse