Timing chain and cam shaft replacement

Hello All, Discovered today that the miss in the 289 in our 68 Coupe is more than likely the timing chain so it's time to dive into that. Having never done this (have shop manual) what are the other items that should be replaced along with the cam and timing chain. The car has an Edelbrock Performer manifold and 600 cfm carb on it.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
sixty8kr

You can replace just a worn out chain and sprockets. If you replace the cam, you must replace the hydraulic lifters. You should check out the rocker arms for wear while you are at it. How is the compression? Are the valves in good shape? A valve job could be in your future.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Reply to
Claud Spinks

The compression test I ran on it was 90 lbs across all 8 cylinders. I'm not sure about the valves, we have only had the car about 8 months. Watching the valve springs work as the motor runs they all look decent.

Reply to
sixty8kr

I have a 66 with a 289 2v and I am reading 130 ps on all 8. I think you may need either a top or bottom end job also. Sounds really low.

Reply to
KellyJ