better mileage on "summer gas?"

I always thought that "summer gas" was supposedly less efficient than winter gas due to the added oxygenates... but the last two tanks I've run through my '05 Impala have yielded greatly increased mileage. I usually have to fill up after around 370-380 miles, today I filled up at about 415 miles and still had some fuel left in the tank. What gives?

I've filled up the last few times in Virginia, whereas I live in Maryland. Is there some state-mandated difference in formulation that could explain the difference?

I've been using Shell stations near exclusively because they just tend to be convenient. I haven't changed my driving habits any...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

could be anything, a 10-15% increase is rare. they say there are 50 different gas formulae. some brands / stations / countries' gas yield better mileage than others, I think.

by chance are you using the mtbeless gasoline?

my experience with the 10% ethanol blend has been about the same, but I am only on my first tank.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

"Nate Nagel" wrote

There may be some differences, esp. with diesel. But imho the actual weather has more effect on mileage than the gas itself. In Europe, mileage in summer is usually greater than in winter.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Schäfer

Actually you have it in reverse. Summer blend have less additives than winter blends. Mainly because the alcohol added into gas today doesn't like to atomize and ignite very well when cold. So they add in chemicals to make the fuel vaporize better. That plus the colder temps cause winter mileage to be lower. As to weather different states have different fuel blends, Yes they do. These boutique fuels are a result of the different emissions standards in different states. New York and California are the leaders in that mess. They have different specs for vehicles that are sold in their states. Basically any new vehicle sold in New York has to have the same package as California to be legal.

Reply to
Steve W.

Here in Minnesota that is DEFINITELY true :-)

I get as much as 10% difference summer/winter, especially when it is a cold winter.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Other way around on the additives.

The gas companies in all their generosity have figured they need 15% or so more profit in the winters so they force all this junk on us and call it 'winter gas' which drops the mileage down for the 'real' gas part even.

They don't believe the new generation of drivers are smart enough to just add their own little 50 cent bottle of gas line antifreeze when it is really cold out.....

My Jeep's old engine (no emissions) loses close to 25% mileage on that alcohol mix crap.

Mike

Mike Romain

Are either, neither, or both places in an EPA Air Attainment Zone?

Reply to
« Paul »

Oops - I left the NON off of Attainment. It should be: Non-Attainment.

Reply to
« Paul »

aside remark, who (a silly question) is charged with the high evaporation loss oil

companies experience in the hot summer months?

does anyone know how much %-wise is lost by evaporation? or, is there any?

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

0.006
Reply to
« Paul »

a 6000 gallon loss per million gallons, I'll take it, 1,000,000 gallons equates to 2 million dollars, minus 12,000 dollars down the drain, or is it up in the air.:--)

why hasn't there been a "closed-system" used to counter, at least, a partial loss?

oh well, come easy, go easy, me worry, not my problem.:--)

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

Not to worry. Fed mandated orvr and Phase 2 spillage should be in place = soon. Cost should be minimal at only $2000 per vehicle and $0.30 per gallon pum= ped. Stage 1 has been in place for many years. Stage 2 since 1998 in Non-Atta= inment zones.

Reply to
« Paul »

Depends on many factors. "Summer gas" also has a much lower vapor pressure, so you lose less of it through evaporation (although an 05 should have a pretty tight vapor control system- it is a fairly noticeable factor on my old cars, though, where parking one in the garage with "winter blend" in the tank will make your eyes water in short order!). And frankly, the lower vapor-pressure gasoline seems to run better all-around to me, though I've never noticed a big mileage difference and again the most noticeable differences are in older cars.

Reply to
Steve