better gas mileage 1993 toyota pickup

I was wondering If there is a way to get better gas mileage out of a 1993 pickup

Reply to
Engebo

There is better ways... Do you have a V6 or a 4 banger?

For a V6 headers will help your gas mileage and cleaning up your intake manifold and intake chamber. I have a V6 with 203000 miles, without any mods except an K&N Filter. I currently get 24 mpg in my truck.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

-Tune ups on schedule,

-Don't carry a lot of unneeded heavy stuff around,

-Avoid jackrabbit starts,

-Drive less,

-Drive slower,

-Avoid big lumpy tires,

-Avoid things that add air resistance,

-Keep your tires aired up.

-Add a bottle of combustion chamber & fuel system cleaner the tank before each oil change. I like Berryman B-12 Chemtool, Chevron Techron Concentrate, BG 44K. The goal is to keep your injectors, intake valves, and combustion chamber as clean as new.

Don't spend money on gizmos that claim to improve your gas mileage and will never pay for themselves.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Yeah, these gas prices are ridiculous, aren't they? I've been driving a diesel around for the past couple weeks... thank goodness.

Reply to
Celica Dude

If it hasn't been done yet, change the timing chain and guides.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Assuming 22-RE 4cyl. If a 3V-ZE V6, this won't apply.

In truth, the best ways to get better gas mileage have been listed many times in this thread and many others (do a google search). The absolute best way, of course, is not to drive it; beyond that, gentle acceleration, keeping speeds below 70/60/55 depending on gearing, coasting to stoplights rather than accelerating to them and then braking, etc etc.

But the absolute best thing: drive it as little as possible. My friends and family, and probably some of your friends and family, are right now putting their lives in danger due in large part to our dependence on oil. The less we all drive, the less gas we all learn to use, the less we have to risk in the future. [Al Gore's suggestion, that we just consume it all at a break-neck pace, at which point we will be forced to find alternatives, would end up stranding and stalling both our economy and our military for an indeterminate amount of time that I'd rather not see].

Personally, we use the truck for hauling, towing, and work, never as a commuting car. For commuting and long trips with no cargo, we drive a Geo Metro (Suzuki Swift) and a Geo Prism (Toyo Corrola), both of which get 34+mpg, while the truck (89 V6 4x4) is lucky to see 19mpg unladen. Given the hardship and sacrifices of our friends who are currently in the sand (my father and older relatives are now all retired, and the VA is putting my father back together after his decades of service wore out his legs), we don't complain about gas prices. We just drive as little as possible (which, at a minimum, is [40mi/day, ~34mpg = 1.20gal = $2.40 @ 1.99/gal 87octane] when we can ride together for work).

keep the truck in tune, drive it less, and good luck to you!

Reply to
encroaching on OT
[Al Gore's

That's BEEN our national policy for the past 100 years.

Reply to
MLB