acetone for better gas mileage?

This guy says acetone mixed with fuel in cars increases mileage 15% to

35%. He mentions the Prius getting 63 MPH after using this as one of his examples.

Has anyone else heard of using acetone and what are the ramifications?

Reply to
badgolferman

I'll bet that if you hold you hand by the tailpipe it will peal the fingernail polish right off...

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

I dunno, but knowing what I know about Acetone, I'd hate to see what the inside of his engine is going to look like after a few thens-of-thousands of miles.

Ever get some n your hands? It leaves kind of a gummy residue.

The other thing I'm thinking is that it might burn hot...a LOT hotter and there would be danger of burning valves or melting rings. The burning hotter would explain the better gas mileage, since you'll be burning your fuels more efficiently. Just a guess.

I'll wait till Gasahol makes a comeback, thanks...

Reply to
Hachiroku

new prius has over 60 as overall mpg anyway, why risk wrecking the engine?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Except that it doesn't and the published figures:

are exaggerated.

Reply to
FanJet

One would think Chlorine, or even, Clorox would work better as an oxidizer. Particularly when one considers acetone costs more per gallon

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If it were only so easy. With gas prices where they are now, I think 3% acetone would be cost effective. I wonder that it doesn't cause knocking.

Pure acet>

Reply to
HarryS

Acetone leaves a gummy residue? I dont think so?! I've been using it for cleaning metal parts prior to painting and leaves absolutely no residue whatsoever. Acetone is a super-volatile solvent that evapourates away like lightning, and after a mini-accidental fire with some of the stuff in a metal tray i can also confirm it doesnt burn to leave gummy stuff. I CAN say I'd never run it through my engine though, at least not on one i needed or wanted to keep working, just in case!

Coyoteboy

Thanks. The only 'run ins' I have had with Acetone has been as a component of something else, so I usually get some kind of residue (or, perhaps the acetone is interacting with what ever I'm using it on and MELTING it?)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ahhh yes, it does have the great ability to turn most things to a gummy mess lol, but it itself doesnt. Your points a goodun in that it'd probably turn most seals and hoses into a mess in a car.

Coyoteboy

Similar reasoning behind the fact that my car makes 200hp as standard, but i risk wrecking the engine to get 275. Its always fun to push things to the limit. But in this case i wouldnt do it, each to their own.

Coyoteboy

I looked at a web site; I think it was posted in a.b.images.fun. Says they did it with a '92 Caravan and got good gas mileage. i have a '92 Grand Voyager; I'm tempted to try it, but I am afraid for those seals, etc. The engine is not in good shape, but they are a dime-a-dozen and easy to replace. The fuel system, OTOH...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I coulda sworn Hachiroku typ'd:

I doubt it would be a problem, especially at the low concentrations called for in the sites I've seen. There is, after all, a high amount of acetone in many carb and injection cleaners on the market, and those don't cause problems that I've heard of.

But why don't you try it and report back -- *I* don't want to be the first person I know to try it!

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

LOL! *I* said the SAME THING in the other group!

Reply to
Hachiroku

lol, im with Don, i think YOU should try it, my engines an arse to get out and pretty rare lol. J

Reply to
Coyoteboy

What is the car/engine?

And, uh, I think I'll pass. I have to either put on a new head or a new engine. If I get an engine cheap enough, maybe I'll try it before I swap out...

Reply to
Hachiroku

'91 Celica GT-Four (Alltrac to you guys), finding a decent quality used (but not abused) engine is nigh impossible. Jap imported ones have unreliable milage claims and most by now are coming to the end of their working life, so its a rebuild if anything major goes lol.

Let us know how you get on with it if you do!

Coyoteboy