acetone for better gas mileage?

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/faq.htm
This guy says acetone mixed with fuel in cars increases mileage 15% to 35%. He mentions the Prius getting 63 MPH after using this as one of
his examples.
Has anyone else heard of using acetone and what are the ramifications?
--
"If I can hit a curveball, why can't I hit a ball that is standing
still on a course?" -- Larry Nelson

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:22:53 +0000, badgolferman wrote:

I dunno, but knowing what I know about Acetone, I'd hate to see what the inside of his engine is going to look like after a few thens-of-thousands of miles.
Ever get some n your hands? It leaves kind of a gummy residue.
The other thing I'm thinking is that it might burn hot...a LOT hotter and there would be danger of burning valves or melting rings. The burning hotter would explain the better gas mileage, since you'll be burning your fuels more efficiently. Just a guess.
I'll wait till Gasahol makes a comeback, thanks...
One would think Chlorine, or even, Clorox would work better as an oxidizer. Particularly when one considers acetone costs more per gallon
mike

If it were only so easy. With gas prices where they are now, I think 3% acetone would be cost effective. I wonder that it doesn't cause knocking.
Pure acetone should leave no residues when it evaporates. When you put it on your skin, it dissolves the natural oils in your skin. The acetone evaporates leaving all of the oils on the surface.

Hachiroku wrote:

Acetone leaves a gummy residue? I dont think so?! I've been using it for cleaning metal parts prior to painting and leaves absolutely no residue whatsoever. Acetone is a super-volatile solvent that evapourates away like lightning, and after a mini-accidental fire with some of the stuff in a metal tray i can also confirm it doesnt burn to leave gummy stuff. I CAN say I'd never run it through my engine though, at least not on one i needed or wanted to keep working, just in case!
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 03:05:03 -0700, Coyoteboy wrote:

Thanks. The only 'run ins' I have had with Acetone has been as a component of something else, so I usually get some kind of residue (or, perhaps the acetone is interacting with what ever I'm using it on and MELTING it?)
Hachiroku wrote:

Ahhh yes, it does have the great ability to turn most things to a gummy mess lol, but it itself doesnt. Your points a goodun in that it'd probably turn most seals and hoses into a mess in a car.
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:53:14 -0700, Coyoteboy wrote:

I looked at a web site; I think it was posted in a.b.images.fun. Says they did it with a '92 Caravan and got good gas mileage. i have a '92 Grand Voyager; I'm tempted to try it, but I am afraid for those seals, etc. The engine is not in good shape, but they are a dime-a-dozen and easy to replace. The fuel system, OTOH...

I doubt it would be a problem, especially at the low concentrations called for in the sites I've seen. There is, after all, a high amount of acetone in many carb and injection cleaners on the market, and those don't cause problems that I've heard of.
But why don't you try it and report back -- *I* don't want to be the first person I know to try it!
-Don
--
"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice.
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:58:12 -0500, Don Fearn wrote:

LOL! *I* said the SAME THING in the other group!
lol, im with Don, i think YOU should try it, my engines an arse to get out and pretty rare lol. J
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 03:17:58 -0700, Coyoteboy wrote:

What is the car/engine?
And, uh, I think I'll pass. I have to either put on a new head or a new engine. If I get an engine cheap enough, maybe I'll try it before I swap out...
Hachiroku wrote:

'91 Celica GT-Four (Alltrac to you guys), finding a decent quality used (but not abused) engine is nigh impossible. Jap imported ones have unreliable milage claims and most by now are coming to the end of their working life, so its a rebuild if anything major goes lol.
Let us know how you get on with it if you do!

new prius has over 60 as overall mpg anyway, why risk wrecking the engine?
mrcheerful
mrcheerful . wrote:

Except that it doesn't and the published figures:
http://toyota.com/prius/specs.html
are exaggerated.
mrcheerful . wrote:

Similar reasoning behind the fact that my car makes 200hp as standard, but i risk wrecking the engine to get 275. Its always fun to push things to the limit. But in this case i wouldnt do it, each to their own.