better mileage with higher octane?

if it help anyone at all my camaro on regular gets 24-25 mpg and pings and what not and on higher octane gas it gets 30-32 and never pings and seems to run better but thats just my car my dads built 350 in his s10 gets 14 mpg on regular and 15 on higher octane but it doesnt seem to run better so i guess it just depends on your vehicle.

Reply to
rscamaroboy89

Makes perfect sense. If you have a Camaro that gets that kind of mileage, its obviously an LS-1 or LT-1 with full digital engine management and knock sensors, plus a pretty high static compression. The engine managment system is having to pull back the timing to let the engine survive on regular octane gas, but can use its optimal settings on premium. An old carbureted HEI ignition 350 can't tell the difference in fuels because it doesn't have knock sensors and digital engine management. You could *manually* set the timing up to use premium, but then you couldn't run regular at all without risking damage.

Reply to
Steve