Bleed a master on the car

I seem to remember seeing a contraption somewhere that was a set of two sections of brake line that would screw onto the master cylinder output fittings, and then looped back up into the reservoir dumping the air and fluid back into the reservoir. The intent was to be able to bleed a master on the car, and with only one person.

Does such a thing exist? I can't seem to find it in the catalogs.

Reply to
runderwo

I remember seeing exactly the same illustration, but I have never had one, nor ever used one.

If you have to remove the brake lines and install this bypass, you would have to bleed the brakes anyway. So, IMO, it would be just as easy to bleed the whole system while you are at it.

It would be easy enough to cobble up those flush lines, if you wanted to do it that way.

Reply to
hls

It is a brake bleed kit. I have a couple that came with new MC's I got at NAPA so I would try them for it. Just plastic fittings with a hose barb on them for clear tubing like fish tank air stuff to see bubbles through.

It may not work though for 'on the car' bleeding. You 'can get the MC level by pointing the nose up or downhill or jacking up the rear or front, but the pedal usually won't travel far enough to fully depress the guts of the MC like 'some' kinds need for a bench bleed.

I have several sets of directions depending on the maker of the MC. Some need a full piston depression, some only call for lots of short shots.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

A set of plastic fittings and rubber tubes to do this are generally included with new master cylinders.

Reply to
Steve

Except, as Mike pointed out, many MC's won't fully bleed when installed on the car. Yes, its a 2-step process: bleed the MC on the bench where you can fully depress the plunger to to get all the air out of the bowels of both the front and rear cylinders, pull all the tubes off, install on the car, and then bleed the whole system to get rid of the air in the fittings themselves.

Reply to
Steve

I have never had a master cylinder that couldnt be bled in the car, but then I have not replaced many master cylinders since the disastrous manufacturing period in the 80's. Those things failed quickly and regularly.

Reply to
hls