Clutch slippage on a 110 V8

Morning all,

I have a problem with my 110, 3.9 V8i (ex-Range Rover), LT85 gearbox. When driving slowly, i.e. in Cambridge traffic, after a while the clutch starts to slip, this gets progressively worse the longer spent queuing. I've never entirely lost drive, but have had to resort to low-range to allow enough revs that some of them were 'getting through' to the gearbox.

The engine has a stainless exahust system, including manifolds, and I think what's happening is the odd-side manifold is slowly heating the clutch pipe/slave cylinder, expanding the fluid which is slowly forcing the clutch in. I've started to lag the exhaust manifold with the white fibre exhaust lagging and I think it's helping, but it's a sod to get into.

What's niggling me is that maybe the clutch isn't adjusted properly, but I think I'm right in thinking that the system is self-adjusting, so long as the pedal is the right distance from the floor and the master cylinder pushrod has its 1.5mm of freeplay?

Any other ideas or should I just get busy with more lagging?

Cheers,

AndyC.

Reply to
Andrew Cleland

All very well having freeplay but does the master cylinder piston withdraw far enough to allow fluid to bleed back to the reservoir.

AJH

Reply to
andrew