blown head hasket

I have a blazer with a blown head gasket. Came home last night when it overheated. Checked the oil to find milky substance. It runs, but I need to drive it 10 miles to the repair shop. Do you think this is okay to do?

Mark

Reply to
sage

"sage" wrote

No, it's not ok do drive it that far. And don't assume that it's the head gasket just yet. And whatever you do, don't go into a shop telling them what "you" think it might be. Often, in those cases, it gives them a great excuse to replace the head gaskets (which makes you feel good as you "diagnosed" it) knowing full well that the intake gaskets were leaking, but they get replaced during the job anyway.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Approximately 10/26/03 10:55, sage uttered for posterity:

It really depends on whether you want to just replace the head gasket or plan to do an entire engine rebuild and how much damage has already been done. I personally wouldn't try it on a hot day without very comfortable walking shoes and someone following in another vehicle.

If you ran the engine very long with water in the oil, expect to be replacing some bearings as well.

Worst case would be if the hole in the gasket allows water to get into the cylinder. Water doesn't compress very well and you may hydrolock the engine.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

When Ian talks, I listen....

But, why don't you first tell us which engine you have? That could make a heck of a difference.

Some engines, particularly some of the V6's, have historical problems.

Reply to
Larry Smith