Tire Repair Question

Hello:

Have a quick question re a tire repair.

I know it's hard to answer without seeing the problem, but perhaps there's a general answer that would apply.

Developed a "small" hole/tear in the sidewall, and the tire went flat.

A tire store fixed it, and said I don't require a new tire.

But, I got to wondering:

I seem to remember reading someplace that most any sidewall holes, or tears, irrespective of size, are essentially unrepairable safely, and the tire should always be replaced for a sidewall hole.

Is this true ?

Repair "seems O.K.," and tire is not losing any air since repair.

But, I really want to be safe.

Can it/could it have been repaired well in the sidewall, or should I automatically assume that I should go out and purchase a new tire ?

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Bob wrote in article ...

It all depends on the method of repair and the quality of workmanship.

I have repaired rivet-nail holes in racing tires - a constant "road hazard" at the race track considering how many "pop" rivets are used in each race car - with hot-vulcanizing patches, and have had absolutely no problems using them up as practice tires and spares.

I have seen the TECH tire suppliers repair sidewalls with their cold chemical-vulcanizing plug kits. I really would be comfortable with that sort of repair - if done correctly.

Hot and chemical vulcanizing are both permanent processes in which the patch becomes a part of the tire rubber, but they must be done correctly. And judgement must be used if there is the possibility of cord damage, but nail holes are usually easy to repair.

If you ever see a "TECH Two-Way" tire repair truck parked at the local gas station, stop and take a look at the front tires - usually the left (driver's) front. It will likely contain several untrimmed plugs in the sidewall - offering a rolling testimony to the viability of the TECH tire repair process, and the feasibility of sidewall tire repair.

One of their sales methods is to hand an ice pick to their potential customer, have him puncture the tire sidewall on the TECH truck, which they then permanently repair with their product to prove that it patches sidewalls as well as tread areas.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Chassis Analysis Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

Reply to
Mike Walsh

A puncture through the tread is one thing. A sidewall hole or tear is another.

I know what I expect of a car, and would not risk my life on shitteaux tires.

Reply to
Larry Smith

Reply to
Rex B