body types

I often hear of "e type" or "f type" in reference to car body styles. Ive never been able to find a good explanation for that labeling. Does anyone know of a good article that would clear this up for me? Thanks... Bryan

Reply to
donnie

Manufacturer specific nomenclature.

E-Type- Jaguar XK-E

F-Body- General Motors Camaro-Firebird.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Large car companies usually have more than one car division. In order to save money they don't make unique cars for all of their divisions. They make a basic chasis and then the different divisions will make changes to the engines and body parts. Internally they will refer to their chasis by a letter or name. That is probably what you are hearing other people refer to.

--------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

So the body type actually refers to the chassis?

Reply to
donnie

b snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Not necessarily. And sometimes you'll see the term platform instead of chassis. Sometimes the term refers to a series of the particular vehicle.

For example, the "E Type" referred to a famous Jaguar, the XKE which came in several versions, body styles, and even engines. The "F Type" was to have been the name for the replacement. And of course the "E Type" may also refer to the Mercedes E series, e.g. E300.

On the other hand, the "F Body" usually means the Camaro/Firebird of their last series.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11