2nd Hand Jaguar X-Types

Hi

Have been looking around at second hand cars and quite fancy a Jaguar X-Type as you can pick them up pretty cheap second hand. On researching it sounds like they are generally pretty reliable and good build quality etc. However, I've read about a common and v.expensive problem in the form of dodgy "transfer boxes". What I haven't been able to find out yet is if this problem affects all models of the X-type? That is, does it happen on both autos and manual?

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

"Bigus" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Fairly safe to say that it doesn't affect the FWD ones...

Reply to
Adrian

My neighbour had a 2.0D as a company car for three years and 127,000 miles - no problems at all, and nothing significant fell off.

The 125,000 service at main dealer cost £1000 though.............probably should have used a Ford dealer :-)

Reply to
Doctor D

"Doctor D" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

2.0D (and 2.0 petrol) are all FWD, though, so no transfer box.
Reply to
Adrian

2.0D is also only available as a manual.

Which is very, very wrong for a Jag - diesel, FWD *and* manual. Ticks all the wrong boxes.

The only X-type worth having is the 3.0 AWD Auto Estate.

IMHO.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Jaguar ESTATE? No, no, no. That, too, is wrong.

OTOH, the MkV Jag I saw the other day was so very, very right.

Reply to
Adrian

OK, the X-Type 3.0 AWD 'Shooting Brake'

Does that sound better?

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No. It's still wrong.

One uses the Land-Rover when the dogs need transporting.

Reply to
Adrian

I know, I was just commenting on the fact that generally the car held together well over extensive use. My neighbour himself was pleasantly surprised.

Reply to
Doctor D

Do it properly

Of course if one is finacially straightened Jaguar will suffice

Duncan Wood

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yeh, the XJ-S spawned some tasty estates, that and the Lynx Eventer.

I very nearly said "Factory Jag estates are wrong"

Reply to
Adrian

OK thanks for the info. The 2.2D is also FWD by the looks of it too and the best of the 3 off the mark. Diesel though.. smell, engine sound.. hmmm. Also looking at MG ZTs, the 1.8 T looks like a good balance between acceleration & economy.

Cheers Bigus

Reply to
Bigus