Brake bleeding question

Hi,

I need to replace the ABS pump on my 91 BMW 318i. I know that this will cause a huge air bubble in the lines, as there is bound to be lots of air in the abs pump internals. Worse, if there is fluid in there, it must be in bad condition. Either way, I need to know the procedure for bleeding brakes after swapping the ABS pump. Is there anything special one has to do (I have heard about the 'pumping 12 times on ABS cars' from the bentley manual)? As I understand it, on some cars it is necessary to use a special tool to cycle the abs pump valves on and off to ensure fluid has passed through them, but I have seen no reference to that on BMW ABS systems.

Any info would be most appreciated. Thanks,

JMH

Reply to
JMH