Brake Drum Overheating

I have a 1981 Ford Fairmont 6cyl, 3.3 L auto trans and the drivers side brake drum is overheating.

In June 2002 I redid front and rear brakes with the best kind of linings I could get from a clutch and brake rebuilder. They told me that it was the kind used by taxis and police, it was made by Bendix. Heard a ticking noise the other day, investigated and discovered that the drivers side shoes were very worn and the longer lining at the rear were cracked where the rivets are. The passenger side drum brakes were OK no problem there, probably another year's lining left. Yesterday I got new (Rebuilt) drum pads from Canadian tire, just had time to install the defective side linings and then tried the car out. After 2 miles of driving I could smell something was overheating and it was the linings rubbing against the drum. I removed the drum saw where there were rubbing marks and sanded the linings. It is derivable now but I find that the drivers side drum still gets hotter then the passengers side. The parking brake is OK it does release and the cables have been replaced they are free. The self adjuster is all the way in.

Any tips as to what I am overlooking or what can be causing the one drum to get much hotter then the other side.

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Mike Walsh