Brake pulsing?

I'm driving a borrowed car, and it has ABS brakes. My mechanic says the front brakes are legal, but badly need the rotors turned and the pads replaced soon.

My cars haven't had ABS. At low speed braking, I feel a definite pulsing in the brake pedal. Is that more likely a normal ABS thing, or a harbinger of disaster?

Reply to
Brian Gordon

Neither. You wouldn't feel the ABS under normal braking. Replace or resurface the rotor and replace the pads and you'll be good to go.

Reply to
dsi1

That isn't ABS. You're feeling the worn out brakes and warped/worn rotors.

Unless it is a unique vehicle with very thick rotors you will probably find new rotors and pads are a better deal. Most rotors today don't have a lot of extra iron to remove and true them up.

Reply to
Steve W.

No, that's because the rotors need to be turned badly.

You will know it when the ABS kicks in... it's a very, very dramatic thing. If you have never driven with ABS before, I would suggest you go out on a wet empty parking lot some time (AFTER fixing the brakes, please) and practice some skids.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey