Brake systems-HELP!!!!

I have a 95 Chevy Corsica. I replaced all the brake fittings on the back of the car. I have bled the system with the car off. There is resistance when I depress the pedal. When I start the car and depress the pedal, it goes right too the floor. What am I doing wrong.

Reply to
jnelson

Did you bleed the brakes by pumping the pedal? If so, how far down did you press? If it was farther than the normal pedal travel, you may have ruined the master cylinder by letting the seals scrape the part of the cylinder that's never used and becomes full of rust and debris. But before replacing it, try bleeding the brakes once more (even gravity bleeding can help, but don't let the master cylinder run dry if you try it). If the rear brakes are drums, adjust them by hitting the brakes while moving in reverse. Also if the car is equipped with ABS, check a service manual for any special bleeding restrictions.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Reply to
Chevrolet

Sounds like you may need to bleed the brakes again. It will take more effort to push the pedal with the engine off. Maybe you did not push hard enough? Two people with engine off is the best way (other than power bleeder).

Reply to
« Paul »

buy a book and read

Reply to
tudysmuck

Reply to
tim bur

Don't overlook the frightfully obvious. Make sure the drums are in place or you won't be able to bleed the rear wheel cylinders (assuming your car is still on jackstands here...) Also manually adjust up the rear shoes until they nearly drag on the drums or bleeding will be difficult/impossible.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish