break down..torque converter problem?

I think he said it was a C series. If it is then it's 2 WD.

C = 2WD K = 4WD

Reply to
Steve W.

thanks for the info. It's much appreciated. In response to the other poster, steve austin..it's not a 4 wheel drive.

Reply to
aspd watch

I guess because he doesn't have money to fix it. So he's trying to fix it himself.

***** As we would say in the South, "Well, bless his heart". Ive been there, where I didnt have the money to pay to have it done, and didnt know how to do it myself, hoping against hope that some small adjustment or some "plastic thingy" on the top of the tranny would save me from a fate worse than debt.

It usually doesnt come down that way.

If you dont have money, sometimes it is a cold world.

Reply to
hls

My father finally figure out what the problem was. Apparently the guy who installed the transmission (it was a rebuilt) a few years ago forgot to bolt down the output shaft. Specifically, the mechanic didn't bolt down the metal cup (for lack of a better term) that goes over the output shaft of the transmission. I suppose there was just too much "play" there, and it eventually wore out the metal cup that goes over the shaft. The output shaft itself looks OK. We already found another substitute part from the junk yard.

However, there is some debris that needs to be cleared off the output shaft. A lot of this debris can't be reached by hand unless if some of the outside housing of the transmission is removed. Is there an easy way to get to this? My father told me that at the rear of the transmission there are 6 bolts on the housing (near the output shaft), and he was wondering if removing these bolts and trying to take off whatever housing is there would give him easy access to the output shaft?

Again, I apologize for asking these questions. I only post them because he asked me too (sigh) and so I do it as a favor. I just don't see why he just doesn't through trial and error figure it out. I suppose it's because his time is limited with work, etc.

Reply to
aspd watch

It has been too many years since I went through a course on tranny operation and repair, BUT the instructor told us that if you are having a problem like this, particularly after an overhaul, ALWAYS check and readjust the linkages first thing.

I somewhat doubt that this will solve your problem, but "always" suggests that you should give it a try.

Reply to
hls

How is it possible that yours is at least the second post in a thread, but this is only posted to one newsgroup? How come I didn't see the first post in this thread?

I've seen this several times before in other groups too and I never understand it.

Anyhow, OP, what is the problem that you say you described. It's not included here?

Reply to
micky