P1870 96 Olds Ciera 3.1 Fix???

Have a P1870 code on my 96 Ciera. I installed a new TCC solenoid but still get the code. Car runs and drives fine, no noticeable problem. I know the code is set when the PCM detects trans component slippage then it inhibits either 4th gear or lockup (can't remember). Question is what are the common causes/fixes. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dano

P1870 indicates excessive slip detected between the engine and transmission output shaft with the TCC engaged. This could be a slipping TCC, or any of the other transmission clutches, etc. Looks like when set, the PCM inhibits TCC engagement, and also 4th gear if the transmission is hot. You may be looking at some internal trouble. What does the transmission fluid look like, any signs of being burnt?

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Let me clarify. I am 95% sure I am not getting lockup which is setting the code. Fluid was OK, a minor amount of metallic sludge was on the magnet which is normal. Looking for the root cause. Sounds like maybe the TCC spool is blowing by or the small filter at the spacer plate broke down and got sucked in. Had a similar problem on a Blazer 4L60E tranny but it was P1860 and shifted like a dragster when it was acting up. Used the Sonnax kit to fix that one.

Reply to
Dano

Did the car make a whining noise that changed from when you shifted into a gear? The noise may have been very slight. The TCC solenoid is not the only componet that can cause a P1870. As already mentioned a spool vavle in the valve body could also be a cause, or the torque convertor to turbine shaft seal or the torque convertor itself. Now if there was a whine that changed when shifting from park or neutral to drive or reverse, you could have a drive sprocket support bearing that has failed. This will require transaxle removal dissassemble and repair.

Reply to
MarkU