1999 Cherokee Classic front end noise - help needed.

I recently purchased a 99 Cherokee classic 2wd with about 80k miles on it. Runs great except for a strange squealing noise from the front end. Sounds like an electric motor with a bad bearing, that kind of squeal. Does this intermittently only at highway speeds (50mph to 70 mph). It will squeal for a second or two and then stop for a while. I think I notice it from the front more towards the right side and it reverberates through the dash area. The dealer thought it might be a front wheel bearing, so they repacked them and I didn't hear the noise for a day. Dunno if that was a coincidence.

Anyone have any suggestions on this problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
Daron

Daron did pass the time by typing:

Does it happen when the AC is on? Your describing a belt driven component. Anything from an idler to water pump/alternator/ps pump/ac compressor...

Of those only the AC compressor cycles. But usually that does a squeel.. short pause...squeel...short pause...squeel...etc. as the AC cycles.

Reply to
DougW

"DougW" wrote in news:SbhBc.67747$%T.37261@okepread05:

There is no change in the noise with the A/C on or off. If it were an engine component, would I not be able to hear it when I rev the engine up to 3000 rpm an hold it as if I were driving at 50mph?

Thanks

Reply to
Daron

Daron did pass the time by typing:

Sometimes. Remember that the engine isn't under any load when your in neutral. The bit about feeling the vibration leads me next to U joints but since you have 2WD, that would more likely come from the back.

Next time it happens try putting the Jeep in Neutral and see if the vibration goes away. If it doesn't try lightly pressing the brakes.

If it goes away with pressing the brakes you might have a dragging shoe or your pads are so thin the wear indicator is making noise.

Good luck,

Reply to
DougW

There isn't really a vibration as much as the squealing noise. It is very off and on. Squeal for a second or two and then stop for a few seconds. While driving on the interstate this afternoon at about

65mph, I dropped it into neutral and let the engine idle at about 700~800 rpms. There was no change in the squealing sound as the engine speed changes. It definately seems directly related to the vehicle speed though. Being 2wd, about the only thing I can think of is wheel bearings or brakes, as you mentioned. Thanks for the tip and I'll check that out.

Reply to
Daron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Interesting site, but the problem is in the front end.

Reply to
Daron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Okay, just a follow up. The noise appears to be wind noise at the top of the windshield near the rear view mirror. I took it to the dealer the other day to let them listen to it. The technician said it sounded like wind noise to him. Something starting to resonate or vibrate at a certain speed. He suggested I move the roof rack bars back a bit and if that didn't help, he suggested taping things off to see if I could isolate the problem. Well, I taped the perimeter of the windshield off and the sound went away. When I removed the tape, the sound returned. I presume it is related to that rubber seal that goes around the windshield. I can lift the edges with my finger all the way around. Perhaps the wind is lifting the seal and making it vibrate a bit. Not quite sure what to do about it though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Reply to
Daron