Can Alternator Failure Damage Battery?

Friends, my 1998 Mercury Mystique died over the weekend. Dealer tells me it needs an Alternator which I expected. However they told me it ruined my Battery (1 month old Die Hard Gold). Is this possible and if so , how does it happen? Car stoped in driveway. Radio went off Headlights dimmed and then car was dead. Thanks.

Reply to
Parisisehs

it could have been undercharging the battery

Reply to
gilla

If it drained the battery down to the point where the car stopped running, it may or may not have damaged the battery. Well, scratch that

- it did damage the battery. question is, how much? Only way to know is to charge it back up (with a battery charger, not the alternator) and then see if it holds enough charge to reliably start the car.

If this car is one of those "has to start every time, every day" deals, I'd replace the battery. It's cheaper than not making an important meeting because you rolled the dice and lost.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Note that the Die Hard Gold has some extenisve warranty on it where they will refund you the value of the lifetime left in the battery. If you have only had it for a month, and you have damaged it, you should be able to get almost a complete warranty.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thanks for the replys folks. they are replacing the battery . Based on your comments I am asking for the old one to take back to sears. Thanks.

Reply to
Parisisehs

Hard to say, without more information... The battery might have suffered an open cell,or a short circuit, which could have had no relationship to the alternator.

The alternator may have been damaged or may have suffered a failure which lead to the downfall of the battery.

The only thing you can do is have the battery replaced under warranty, and deal with the alternator problem. If the dealer tries to hump you, go to a good starter/alternator shop for repairs, or get a first class rebuild or new alternator from a quality supply store.

Dealers are not always experts, nor are they always reasonable in prices. Choose carefully.

Reply to
<HLS

And how does the dealer know that it wasn't a bad battery that ruined the alternator? I've heard that story before too.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Overcharging is what damages batteries. A failure mode of an alternator that results in overcharging is rare. However, some voltage regulators reside inside alternators. Thus a failure of the regulator could be viewed as an alternator failure with those style alternator/regulators. Did the dealer say what exactly failed on the alternator?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota