my big question here is CAN A FAULTY VOLTAGE REGULATOR KILL A (relatively) NEW
i posted a few days ago about my 91 fox alternator (90 Amps) problems...
q quick recap--
my battery didn't have enough juice to actuate the starter. was jumped and
drove down the street to autozone. took battery out of car, had it tested at
autozone. it tested bad. they gave me a new battery (as it was just one year
old and under warranty). i installed the battery in the vehicle and had the
autozone people bring their alternator testing equipment out to the car. we
were getting a reading of about 11 V and 5 A output...i think these numbers
should be about 13 V and 90 A, respectively. i was told that the alternator is
bad and should be replaced.
i got to wondering why the alternator light didn't come on. tonight, i put the
key in the ignition and turned to the engine run position. the alternator
warning light did not come on. there was no activity from it when i switched
to start and back to run.
my bently manual tells of testing the light (removing the instrument
cluster)..which i really don't want to do.
it also mentions that this condition (battery not being properly charged &
light not coming on) could be caused by a faulty regulator. if anyone has any
knowledge in this area, please advise.
i am planning on removing the alternator and having it tested in-store. as i
am sure it will be much easier to remove the alternator and have it tested
rather than tearing the dash and steering wheel apart to test the light itself.