caliper bushings for 1996 Honda Accord....

So, I need new caliper bushings for my 1996 Honda Accord. The mechanic I just took it to told me that when replacing the caliper bushings I also need to replace the brake pads (which I bought new ones two months ago and the are currently in great shape) and replace the rotors. Also need to bleed the brakes.

The damage would be $1,054.96. My jaw dropped to the floor at this figure.

Is that right? Can I just replace the calipers (or the caliper bushings) and nothing else?

I took it in with a very minor squeak/creak sound when braking, so I am astounded by the estimate

Your thoughts/advice is much appreciated....

Reply to
craigsclarke

If the calipers are sticking, the rotors probably need to be resurfaced or replaced.

If you're in there, you might as well replace the pads because it won't cost any more.

That doesn't seem totally out of line.

Maybe, but you'll probably be driving around with rotors that are out of spec.

Have you by any chance been hearing the squeak when driving at low speed as well?

I'd say get a second opinion, but what you describe is a typical scenario. Who did the pads and why didn't they check everything in there in the process?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

hey Scott...I really can't say thanks enough for your response.

Your two questions for me...I do hear the squeak/creak at low speeds.

Also, National Tire and Battery did the brakes a couple of months ago. In fact, I took it to them the other day. They said they could find nothing wrong with the brakes. Strangely, it was raining pretty good that day and the squeak/creak wasn't really happening as I drove it around that day to from NTB. They rotated the tires while I had it there and that almost seems like it made the noise lessen, but it is still there. Might be my imagination. When NTB could find "nothing wrong," I took it to an independent mechanic today. Now, the independent mechanic is a high end part of town (i.e. rich homes and rich people) and has a really nice, spotless building. I have heard they adjust their prices accordingly to match their part of town, but don't know if that is accurate.

thanks aga> wrote:

Reply to
craigsclarke

I think you need to do a better job of describing the problem. What is supposed to be wrong with the bushings? Its unlikely that the brake squeak has anything to do with the bushings. But that doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with the bushings. If the pads are in great shape as you say (how would you know?) then the rotors and calipers are probably good also. In that case the squeak is probably something that just comes with the pads you had installed. The real question is how do the brakes perform? When you apply them do they pull to one side? Do they shudder or pulse? when you are going 70 mph and bambi jumps out in front of your car will they stop the vehicle quickly and effectively (and quietly)? If you are paying attention at all, you should be able to answer those questions. If not, then 1000 bucks is about right for being clueless. I'm guessing the squeak is just something you hear when braking lightly in stop and go traffic, but my crystal ball is a bit murky.

-Jim

Reply to
jim

Then what is happening is that the calipers are hanging up. They are not opening completely, and so the pads are _always_ scraping against the rotors, even when you aren't applying the brakes.

This is why the pads and rotors are prematurely worn.

Nope, what you describe is a classic stuck caliper.

Tell the mechanic that the guy at NTB didn't find any damage to the rotor or pads and ask him if you can get by a little bit longer on those rotors. He may tell you that you can put off changing them for a while. Their lifetime has been greatly reduced, though.

Incidentally, if you had taken it to a better mechanic in the first place he probably would have found the caliper issue while doing the pads, just as part of a routine brake check that you do when you do pads. Finding it earlier might have saved you the cost of the rotors, I dunno.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

His first post said "I took it in with a very minor squeak/creak sound when braking" He has never said it made a sound when not braking. But maybe my crystal ball is a bit whacked.

He said the pads are "are currently in great shape". But I question that assessment also. He should just pay the $1000 for all we know all 4 wheels are about to fall off.

-jim

Reply to
jim

My guess is that you don't really even need the bushings but that most of the squeak is from the new pads. Unless the brakes are simply not working right there is no way I would pay to have all that work done because of a little squeak. I'd at least wait a few months and then have someone else look at them again if they are still squeaking. Brakes are a high profit item for these shops, it's easy work and most people are scared about their brakes not working right. The perfect repair item for maximum profits. I've never replaced a caliper in my life but a lot of these shops talk people into replacing them every

20,000 miles for an assortment of bogus reasons.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Right, but then I asked if he also heard the squeak at low speeds when not brak>Your two questions for me...I do hear the squeak/creak at low speeds. --scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Now, he already said it the noise is heard "when braking" so I would read your question to mean do you hear it when braking at low speed. He probably doesn't hear it when braking hard at high speed.

It is possible, but I doubt he has stuck calipers. If anything, given the information he supplied, it would be a good guess that the reason the shop is telling him he needs new bushings because they are too loose. But who knows.

-jim

Reply to
jim